My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve

We went to the Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve this evening. It's about a mile from home, which is wonderfully convenient. Although it had never previously been marked in any way, today we found that a sign had been erected;Coincidentally, we also saw 3 other vehicles there, too (we'd never seen a single soul there before.) Although it's probably good to educate people, it was nice to have a virtually private nature preserve, too.We saw quite a few sedge wrens, whose numbers are in decline due to loss of habitat.I love the changing colors. Although perhaps not as striking as in Canada, it's certainly better than on the South shore, where leaves typically just turn brown & fall off. (As of Oct. '08 I've learned that this is the horribly invasive Chinese tallow tree.)
On our way out, sunset on the pines.

3 comments:

Rob said...

That last photo is almost identical to one I took yesterday afternoon in Bush, LA. It was a nice sunset, wasn't it? Nice place you have here.

Charles Gramlich said...

See what happens when we leave the flatwoods alone a few days. We were flirting with that other preserve and the flatwoods decided to heck with us, I'll find other people to walk my trails.

Lana said...

Rob; Thank you kindly. I love it here, in "our neck of the woods." I'm also envious of some of your beautiful photos! Blog on!

Charles; At least it didn't sic cottonmouths on us (again!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails