My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Fun with Fungi

In response to Charles' comment about the mushrooms at Northlake, here are some pix;

Although I've seen shelf fungus & other tree fungi, I've never seen a mushroom like this growing out the side of a tree.


This one had been nibbled on by one of the park's denizens.


This was a pine tree with an obvious fungal infection--its growing out from beneath the scales of the bark.


A huge fly agaric mushroom.


Another fly agaric, faded in color, with a cell phone for scale.


A funky little fungi ball (about 2" across,) I haven't been able to identify. It doesn't look like a typical puffball fungus, but I'm no expert.


Also nibbled on by a local denizen.


I have no idea what kind of mushroom this is. It certainly looks like something past it's prime, starting to cave in on itself. It was almost as large as the fly agarics, above.
Related Posts with Thumbnails