My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wood Duck & Last Night's Dream; Helicopter, Books & Teddy Ruxpin

I was with a man (Gene Hackman?) who took us up in a helicopter. It had to be parked in a particular spot, so it could be hooked up to something on the ground (a recharger?) At one point I was allowed to take the helicopter up, myself. I had fun flying around the area before I realized that I don't know how to fly a helicopter. I landed kind of fast & hard, on the other side of a building from where the helicopter needed to be hooked up. Other people were on the ground now. When I asked the man if I needed to move the helicopter to the other spot (for hookup,) he was clearly exasperated & said, "Yes," but he would do it. Later I was at the library, shelving all different kinds of books (fiction & non-fiction,) about native Americans. We had at least 3 long shelves full of them & I was putting related books together. The spines of the books didn't have titles, but rather illustrations of the native Americans depicted within. On the bottom shelf I found a book on how to draw a remorhaz. The cover depicted a front view of an attacking remorhaz, but inside the instructions were on how to draw the side-view of one in a tunnel. I set it aside, partly because it didn't belong among the native Americans & partly because I was somewhat interested in looking at it further. I stood up--there was a short bookshelf behind me, perpendicular to the wall. My manager was there, speaking with a man who was asking about the talking teddy bear from the '80s. They were trying to remember the name. My manager said something that sounded like an old-style phone number (i.e.; RIverside-62495.) I knew that wasn't it & started wracking my brain. I eventually came up with K.D. Ruxpin, which brought me immediately to Teddy Ruxpin.

The wood duck sketch, above, was an experiment in charcoal & chalk on manilla paper. I like how it came out, but it was relatively easy, as the subject was stuffed & mounted on my wall at the time. The wall had a mural of a flowery mountainside on it, so it really gave the impression of a duck flying over the landscape. It was kind of funny, in retrospect.

10 comments:

Julie said...

....the bit about the dog is a scream.

I thought the wood duck was a professional print. You are good.

Lana, do you fancy doing one of these middle-name meme things? Shauna has just tagged me to do one, and I've realized that with not doing this long the only people I can think of have either done one recently or like Charles are just snowed under....I'll do mine, but maybe defer asking anyone if its a no go.

Idea is to take (or invent) a middle name, take each letter - say H for horse riding, and write a para about yourself, then ideally nominate the same no of people as number of letters to pass it on, if that makes sense. I'll send you the proper rules if it appeals to you.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lana said...

Julie; I wouldn't mind the middle name meme thing, if you want to send me the "rules."
Thanks again for the kind words on the art.
I think most of my laughter (at the rotweiller,) was just a burst of relief that I wasn't going to be torn to shreds that morning. *whew!*

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

The Wood Duck is great! I'm impressed!

Lana said...

Zen Birdfeeder; Thanks much! Oddly enough, out of all of my available prints, this was the only one that never sold, not even once. I think I still have the original somewhere, but the charcoal & chalk have faded over time (nearly 20 years now!) I'll have to break out the manilla paper & do some new sketches...

Julie said...

From Shauna's blog. She said passing the tag on is very flexible, so there's no problem.
Her meme is her yesterdays post, if you'd like an eg.

....But in the meantime, I've been tagged with the middle-name meme.

Here are the rules:

1. You have to post these rules before you give the facts.

2. Players, you must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don't have a middle name, just make one up...or use the one you would have liked to have had.

3. When you are tagged you need to write your own blog-post containing your own middle name game facts.

4. At the end of your blog-post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

Veery said...

Beautiful Wood Duck

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

Lana - make sure you do that! Then SHARE!

mon@rch said...

Great work and woodducks are faves of mine for sure!

Lana said...

Veery; Thank you!

Zen; To be honest I doubt I could find my manilla pad, but I have to pick up some more paints this weekend, anyway, so I'll grab a new pad, chalk & charcoal while I'm out. Stay tuned. ;)

Mon@rch; Thanks! At that point in my life they were my favorite, too. Right now I'm no longer sure. Harlequins & some others are quite lovely, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails