My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, December 14, 2007

Astronomically speaking...

Last night (or early this morning); Did anyone happen to catch the Geminid meteor shower? We were clouded out here (& still are,) unfortunately. I'm not really complaining, as we need the rain. At least we caught some Perseid meteors this past August.
Today; Neptune is in conjunction with the Moon, meaning they're within 30 degrees of one another. Unfortunately Neptune & Uranus aren't among the "visible" (with the naked eye) planets. Speaking of which...
Sunday; Uranus will be in conjunction with the Moon. If you happen to have a telescope, you may want to have a look.
Monday; 1/4 Moon. You can tell what the moon's doing by which side is lit. Right side--waxing. Left side--waning.
Tuesday; Mars' closest approach to Earth this year. If you have clear skies, it will seem particularly bright (although the size difference probably won't be discernible to the naked eye.) Not truly the "red" planet, Mars is more pumpkin-colored.

("Moonset Over Fog Lake" was inspired by a Halloween night spent at a quarry in Canada. It was a peaceful & beautiful time, if kind of chilly.)

4 comments:

Crayons said...

Hi Lana,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if my analysis was too "out there," or if it made sense.

I'm so impressed with your knowledge of the skies. I just went down to the lake near my apartment. It is already frozen. It was so quiet and calm. I looked up and admired the crescent moon, but my untrained eye missed the details that you mention.

Lana Gramlich said...

Crayons; Your analysis made perfect sense. I liked the description of the teens, in particular...childish, then adult...
I worked pretty much straight nights as a security guard for most of 14 years. That gave me lots of time to watch the skies. As a result, I ended up writing a quarterly astronomy column for 7 or 8 years (in a womens' magazine in Canada.) Now that I work days, I don't have the viewing opportunities I used to, but I still try to see what I can. A great book for starters (if you want to learn more,) is "Your Guide to the Sky" by Rick Shaffer. Amazon has used copies for 1 cent + shipping (3 or 4 bucks.) Can't beat that for delivery straight to your mailbox!

Julie said...

...Looked out for the meteor shower, but we had a cloud mist that smelled like snow yesterday, and nothing much visible. Clear night and bright moon tonight - too cold to be outside for any length of time...

Lana Gramlich said...

Julie; Ah well...Maybe next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails