My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Birds & Last Night's Dream; Breakfast, Pythons & Bad Men

My coworkers & I went for breakfast at a restaurant with a large patio. Later I was in a neighborhood I used to live in. There was a path into the woods. A large python was there. It was strange in that it had 4 stubby legs. Somehow I knew it was harmless. Going back to that area later, that snake was gone. There was some kind of white, plastic container there. Looking in, I saw an actual python (without legs.) It was also very large & in this case it wasn't harmless. I left before anything untoward happened. I was stopped by a bad man in the area, who demanded directions to a nearby quarry that had been converted to a lake. He intended to commit a crime there & I knew he wouldn’t hesitate to hurt me. Referring to a map, I saw numerous entrances to the area (& a couple of houses nearby.) I asked, repeatedly, which way he wanted to go in, but he was too busy talking with a cohort. Finally I snapped & yelled at him, at which point he finally told me he wanted to take Oak Street in. Later I was overlooking a parking lot with a few cars. A bad young man there was attracting attention. I said, "Uh oh," to someone else who was there.

Neither my coworkers nor my old neighborhood were "real life" people or places. Recent themes include white things, dangerous/bad/criminal people, restaurants, woods, spiders and snakes.

The picture I took this morning includes a male white-throated sparrow, a pair of cardinals & a female red-bellied woodpecker (who hasn't been around much of late.) The sparrow kind of blends in. If you can't see him, he's on the same stumplet as the male cardinal (& not far from him.)

14 comments:

Crayons said...

Hi Lana!

Thanks for your fun message this morning or last night. I'm in south-western Wisconsin. I know that you guys have more crazy snow than we do.

I want to explore your blog more when I get home tonight. I am intrigued by this post.

Lana Gramlich said...

Crayons; Thanks for stopping by & posting a comment! I don't have crazy snow since I moved to New Orleans 4 years ago...of course Katrina was another story. I've since moved about 35 miles north & 40' above sea level. Welcome to the blog--hope you enjoy!

Peace said...

Hi, thank you for your comment. You have a nice blog here. Beautiful place.

Lana Gramlich said...

Peace; Thanks--you're too kind. Feel free to stop by anytime. :)

mon@rch said...

So glad you were able to capture such great birds and I love your Red-bellied Woodpecker picture! So glad it decided to return and say hello!

Teri said...

NICE Blog :)

Elle said...

Hello Lana,

Well done you had me going till I read on. Good story but a bit scary!

You must live in country side as what we would call it down under, beautiful photos.

If you are interested in art my youngest son is an artist and has had a few exhibition, go to my page and scroll done till you get to Labels click on Artist and you will see his work, he has sold many pieces and is an up and coming artist in Aussie land.

Take care
Elle

Charles Gramlich said...

Spiders and Snakes, oh my. Glad to see the woodpecker back.

Julie said...

Hi lana - this may duplicate, but thanks for the picture of the banana spider - only just seen the comment. It was amazing...!

Lana Gramlich said...

Mon@rch; Thanks. I only hope the female finds a mate & they bring back chicks again this Spring.

Teri; Welcome & thank you!

Elle; I have weird dreams, certainly. At least these days I'm merely being threatened instead of being shot at or stabbed (like in past dreams.) <:\
Yes, we live in the country. We used to live in the suburbs outside of New Orleans, but after returning from our Katrina evacuation (3 months later,) I really wanted to move away from that area. I'm just not very happy in cities or suburbs. Loving it out here in the country.
I'll check out your son's art later (gotta get ready for work now.) Thanks for the tip--I look forward to it.

Charles; Not even just snakes, but a missing link kind of stubby legged snake. What's that about? Hopefully the blue jays will come back more permanently, too.

Julie; Yes! Big bugs here in the subtropics! Being allergic to most of them, I have to be very careful.

Lana Gramlich said...

Elle; Got to your site. Your son's work is wonderful! Best of luck to him!

Birdfreak said...

What a great photo! A rare treat

Lana Gramlich said...

Birdfreak; Thank you. The swallow only swooped in at the last second, so I really lucked out to get them all together.

Lana Gramlich said...

Elle; Your blog seems to have disappeared again...Hope everything's well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails