My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, December 17, 2007

Robins & Last Night's Dream; Accident, Last Meal & Iraq

I had been called to serve in Iraq. My last meal had been set up at a nearby hotel. On my way there, I decided to get my car washed. On the way to the car wash, a patron from our library cut me off, causing an accident. She admitted fault & apologized profusely. I told her she needed to be more careful when driving, particularly as she had a young girl in the car with her. The car wasn't damaged beyond repair, so I continued on & got my car wash. Afterwards I went to the hotel, where Tony Bennett's table had been reserved for me. I had a good meal & there was free entertainment. When I was finished, I went up to the counter to pay. The waitress there explained that the evening was provided completely free of charge. I was impressed & appreciative, & continued on to Iraq. On arrival, I met the rest of our small group. There were only 4 of us & it was unlikely that we'd ever see any action. I was relived & gladdened. The man in charge brought me outside. We had to install my phone line. He located the spot where we needed to dig. It was near a couple of pipes that protruded from the ground. Something about it made me nervous, however.

Lots of birds today. As Charles suspected in a recent comment, the robins have returned. There are at least 30 of them hopping around my front yard at present, with more coming in every few seconds. The picture, however, is of a titmouse who was kind enough to pose long enough for me to snap the picture. He's usually almost too kinetic to photograph, stopping only long enough to grab another sunflower seed before taking off again. By the end of this paragraph, there are probably 50 robins out front. Unfortunately my camera insists on focusing on the screen in my window, so I've been unable as of yet to get any pictures of them. I'll work on it, though.

4 comments:

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

You gotta love the big eyes on those titmice!

Lana Gramlich said...

Zen Birdfeeder; Yes! I love the little blush of rose on the sides, too.

Charles Gramlich said...

Glad that Iraq service was only a dream, sweetness.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; Fret not, being a Canadian citizen, if it ever came to that, we could always flee. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails