My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, December 8, 2007

"Tulips at Night" & Last Night's Dream; Post-Apocalypse (Updated)

I'm with others in a post-apocalyptic world. We're all in a bare, small, wooden house. We need to hook up a pumping system to a water source, but it was going to be a long, complicated task with uncertain results. We were all dreading the thought. To our delight, J.R. offered up the water tank from his deserted house--a large, white, metal cylidrical thing. We went to get it, then hung it from the ceiling above a bathtub. Afterwards I went into another room with a female friend. I was taking pictures with my digicam. In a mirror on the other side of the room I saw "Alan" come to the doorway. He wanted to be with me romantically. The feeling was not reciprocal--I always dreaded when he came around & made excuses to get away. In this case I left the house with a few others to see what else might still be around. We found a strip mall that was mostly deserted and damaged, with no front wall at all. 2 automotive repair shops there were still open, each still with a male mechanic inside. The shops were side by side, the one on the left much larger than the other. The man in the right side shop was friendly and kind. We met up with a woman in that area. J.R. involved himself with her (platonically,) speaking with her, trying to get more information. She gradually transformed into a huge, spider-like monster clinging to the ceiling in the left side shop. Shortly afterwards, she bit J.R.’s head off & consumed his body. We knew she would be no danger to anyone who did not engage her in any way. Suddenly I returned to the room I was taking pictures in, but this time I was above & behind myself, watching the same scene. Then I returned to the strip mall, which had decayed or been damaged further. Now it was practically just a framework. The smaller, right side garage was abandoned. I spoke with the man in the left side shop, who wasn't very nice & implied that he'd killed the other man. The woman/monster was still in the rafters of his shop.

The parts related to taking pictures are further examples of my tendency not to have recurring dreams, necessarily, but to have events recur in individual dreams. To this day, although it happens fairly regularly, I still don't really know what it "means." I suspect that it's the events, themselves, rather than the recurrence that's important.
The sketch is one of the last dragons I've ever drawn, back in '96-97. It's cropped, unfortunately, as it was too large for my scanner. I drew it for myself & before I splurged on a custom frame I made prints to sell (it turned out to be a pretty popular piece.) One of my friends really loved the original, however, & insisted on having it. After some consideration, I told him I wouldn't accept less than $300 for it, expecting him to balk. To my surprise, after a few days of complaining & trying to haggle me down, he paid it, making it the most I've ever made on a piece (even after subtracting $75 for the custom frame.) He then insisted that I name it, which I'm horrible at & abhor doing. I think art should speak for itself, not try to live up to some label. As a result of both that & my smart @$$ nature, I proclaimed it "Tulips at Night." I've retained the last print of it, but I still miss that original... (Update; Featured on the cover of Alternatives magazine, Mar. 15, 2004 to Apr. 15, 2004. Vol. 15, No. 3.)

4 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

This reminds me of the inmate who donated his winning graphite sketch from the University of Michigan's Prisoner Art Program to me. I still have the intricate sketch, which, unfortunately, speaks volumes about the artist's crime. Take care. I'll stop in periodically.

Lana Gramlich said...

JR; Although the subject matter might be disturbing, it was nice of him to donate a winning sketch to you. I hope that means you made some kind of impression on him. Hope to see you blogging again someday, but in the meantime, best to you & yours. Stay safe & sane. Peace.

Charles Gramlich said...

This was a great dream. I wish I'd had it. Normally I have the weirder monstery dreams. I love this painting too. Makes me think of other worlds.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; Yes, I definitely seemed to have your style of dream here. I love that sketch, too. Might be my favorite to date. I really should get my print of it custom framed one of these days...

Related Posts with Thumbnails