My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Finished Painting (Finally) (Updated)

Firstly, many apologies for the slightly blurry image. I took about a dozen pictures trying to get it properly centered & lit & this is the best I could get it.
I'm not entirely pleased with the reworked painting, either. I was doing fine until a single brush stroke had more of an effect than I'd hoped. It may be silly, but a single, bad brush stroke can stop me cold on a painting. The day before the bad brush stroke I'd posted that it was almost done. Instead it sat for a while on my floor while I looked it over & writhed in agony until I was able to conceive of a decent enough possible "fix." Unfortunately I think I would've been better off leaving well enough alone. C'est la vie. It's signed, it's finished--time to stop writhing in agony & move on.
For those who hadn't seen it, the study for this painting, "Sunset at Cedar Bay," is below. It's 10x8" & more true to the original photograph, but certain aspects prompted me into the rework. The finished painting is 18x14" & contains elements that just won't be possible to capture in a photograph. The biggest difference between them is that I blended some irridescent white & gloss varnish into the paint used for the water. As a result, seen from a certain angle parts of the water in the painting actually reflect light. That's something I really do like about the finished product.
I really shouldn't complain so much--I've done much worse. It's acceptable enough, even if I rue not having stopped just a few brush strokes ago. I'm just being my own worst critic, as usual. <:\

(Update, 2008; The smaller study was given to friends as a housewarming gift after their home was lost in the California wildfires.)

9 comments:

Julie said...

The light quality really communicates on these - especially the finished version. It sings out against the black. Lovely delicate touch.

What kind of paints are you using?

Miladysa said...

They both have wonderful qualities - I love the sound of "irridescent" - just the word itself does it for me :)

eric1313 said...

The colors are gorgeous, though. Fuzzy pic or not, they jump out and dance with the viewer.

Amazing sense of palate!

Wayne said...

We're all just too left-brained to value our own art.

Those photos, that moon, wow. I was working it just yesterday. Sketching it in words. Kinda, to color next time it comes by. On this side of the world. Right up there on Feldberg.

Charles Gramlich said...

I like both versions and although they are a similar study they each have unique qualities to recommend them. I rather like the tree branches better in the small one, but like how the trunks blend in for the bigger one. I personally like the colors better in the small one, but the land within the colors is cooler in the big one. as for a bad brush stroke, I don't see it.

Ello said...

I love both but my facorite is the second one because of how beautiful the detail of the trees pop out for me. And I love your colors. Simply beautiful.

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks to all for the kind words.

julie; I've been painting with acrylics since I was 18. I gave oils a try once, but they annoyed me too much (slow drying, extra chemicals req'd, etc., etc.)

miladysa; I use irridescent paints very sparingly, as they can easily overpower a painting.

wayne; I really need to hogtie & gag my inner critic. *L*

charles; I know you don't see the bad brush stroke. No one besides me ever will (which is why I'm going to go stick this in the spare room today.) I'm already somewhat considering doing a huge version (maybe 3x4',) of this, to correct what I'm not crazy about here. I need a break from the theme right now, though.

ello; I agree on the trees in the original. Unfortunately those leaves were done with a small brush that would've taken forever on the larger version.

Anuradha malik Jagdhari said...

I like the 2nd one better. It has more energy in it. First one is more ethereal though.

Lana Gramlich said...

Anuradha; Thanks for stopping by & taking the time to comment. The second one having "more energy" makes sense, as it was done much more quickly & freely than the other.

Related Posts with Thumbnails