My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, January 14, 2008

Swamp Trees & Last Night's Dream; Death & a Wedding

Police were investigating a woman's murder. She'd been decapitated & her head was missing. She turned out to be T.D.'s girlfriend & he was deeply hurt. I went to his place of business to comfort him & let him know I was there if he needed anything. We stood in a garage doorway. He was somewhat gladdened to see me again, to know I was there. Soon everyone left & Punjabi Indians came to hold a wedding. The bride wore bright yellow, which contrasted beautifully with her dark brown skin. She was the only one I could see--the rest of the group were outside the building. There was an extra dress hanging high up on a wall. I tried to shake it loose to put it on, but it wouldn't dislodge. The ceremony was very short & no one seemed to mind that I wasn't dressed up.

Decapitation is a major theme in Celtic history & mythology. Since they believed that one's soul was found in the head, the Celts were notorious head hunters. Not only would they take their enemies' heads, but they'd proudly display them on their belts, in their horses' manes, at the entrances to their homes, etc. Some buildings had niches specifically carved near the entrance for this purpose. In this case, however, I believe the decapitated woman was inspired by an episode of Forensic Files that I watched the other night.
Interesting dichotomy here, though; the sad ending of a death (a severance, particularly indicated by the decapitation,) inside of a building & the happy beginning of marriage (a uniting, joining, melding,) outside. Clearly a threshold is indicated here, a turning point. I'm not directly involved in either event, though, I'm a peripheral player at best.
According to Snopes, a yellow wedding dress signifies "foresworn" (a false oath or repudiation,) & is widely disliked; "Married in yellow, ashamed of your fellow." According to Moroccan tradition, however, bright yellow scares away the evil eye.

The picture is of a swampy area near Lake Ramsay. I liked the density & reflection of all the small trees.

13 comments:

Demon Hunter said...

Strange, but interesting dream. I love that picture of the lake...creepy. :*)

cs harris said...

I think you've been sleeping to close to that Gramlich guy. His weird dreams must be contagious.

Lana Gramlich said...

Demon hunter; Thanks (on the picture.) There was something depressing about the scene--the lack of leaves, the bland grayness.

CS; Perish the thought! If they were, I'd be killing demons & marrying an alien. *LOL*

Demon Hunter said...

That pic has a story in it somewhere...thanks for stopping by my blog as well. Feel free to come back! :*)

Ello said...

I love that picture! ANd your dream was quite fascinating. With your dream and Charles violent war dreams, you've got quite a bloody night at the Gramlich household, hmmm? ;o)

Miladysa said...

Fascinating dream and eerie photograph :)

Lana Gramlich said...

Ello; Bloody maybe, but never dull. *LOL*

Miladysa; Thanks!

Erik Donald France said...

Hate that when someone loses their head . . . wedding imagery is interesting . . . Evil eyes are good to be aware of . . .

Gale Rainwater said...

Lana that's a interesting dream. Usually I can't remember mine very well. Great job on the swamp image. I love reflection shots. Thanks for commenting and supporting my blog so much.

Marvin said...

I like the swamp photo. Doesn't look like a good place for getting lost, though.

photonz said...

Lana,

I like this image alot. The repetition of line and the extreme depth of field work very well. There is something about the piece that is both inviting and a bit spooky.

Paul

Charles Gramlich said...

Interestingly, on the same night I had a dream of two women who were in a bathroom. One was seated when the "seat" malfunctioned and sprayed intestines all over the room. That was a pleasant way to awaken.

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; Losing one's head (metaphorically) is another way of looking at the decapitation, certainly. I found the "evil eye" thing interesting, as it definitely applies to the murder part of the dream.

Gale; I wasn't much for remembering dreams, either, until I really started trying back in 2000. I love reflection shots, too. I take a fair number of pix of just the reflections. They're wonderfully abstract. NP on supporting your blog. You're incredibly talented, so it's always a joy. :)

Marvin; Agreed!

Photonz; Thank you. The scene struck me as desolate, regardless of everything in it.

Charles; Geeze, man...What have you been eating before bed???

Related Posts with Thumbnails