My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Some of This Morning's Birds

The hawk was back again this morning (heard but not seen,) so "the kids" (as we call them,) waited until he vacated the area (at the urging of a couple of blue jays.) As usual, click on the pictures for larger views.

The blue jays have been shy lately, so one of them took off on me before I could take the picture.


The white-throated sparrow here (with the yellow spots on his head,) tends to be very shy. I was delighted to catch him here with so many other birds, particularly the dark-eyed junco, who's a relatively recent visitor.


It appears that half of our "usual" cardinals have moved on, but we still get up to 10 at a time. Note the goldfinch on the stump.


I like the way one of the cardinals is looking at the mourning dove. I'm sure he's thinking it's too crowded, already.


On their way in, many of the cardinals stop in our little magnolia tree for a look over the area. I'm enamored with the image & ended up painting it.

Unfortunately the raccoons once again bent my sunflower feeder out of shape last night & helped themselves to its contents (although it's still up this time.) A baffle is on its way, thanks to the help of the Zen Birdfeeder.


14 comments:

Julie said...

- these are beautiful - especially the blue jay!

Look like you're really getting the hang of the new camera!

Lana, I'm just about to pack up for the night - could you pass on to Charles that if my comments seemed a bit terse on his post its because I just managed to put myself back to square one with my back, which is both very frustrating and pretty uncomfortable. Talk about blogging through clenched teeth! Looks like I'll be lying around here for another few weeks. Ce'st la vie.

Thanks for your comment on mine,
btw

Lana Gramlich said...

Julie; Thank you. Today I shot my first videos (at least until I had to go chase a squirrel.) Once I get a better hang of that I'll post some of the frenetic, live action scenes that these still shots can't convey.
So sorry about your back, hon! *gentle hugs* <:( Passed on your msg to Charles, who didn't take anything badly, anyway.

oldmanlincoln said...

I see you have a collection of cardinals. We get two or three males and females every day or most days. They are eating a lot of sunflower chips without the hulls.

You can also buy this large metal disk that hangs first and the bird feeder under it and the raccoons can't or squirrels can't get to the feeder without falling off the disk. If you send your email address I can send a photo.

Or, go to a place like Tractor Supply and buy it there. It is a large metal disk. A hook goes through the hole and another hook comes up from the bottom through th ehole in the center. Your feeder hangs on the bottom hook and the top hook hangs on the bungee cord in the tree or however you hang your feeders.

Thanks for the visit.

Miladysa said...

Beautiful photographs and wonderful colours.

You are soooo lucky to have these wonderful birds visiting you :)

Shauna Roberts said...

Great shots! How fun to have so many male cardinals willing to be close together at once. Do they fight, or do they get along?

That blue jay looks awful suspicious of you, though.

Lana Gramlich said...

Lincoln; Thanks for the tip. Since I already have a baffle on the way, I think I'll wait & see how that works out. If that's no deterrent, either, I'll get back to you.

Miladysa; I can't help but remember the days when I used to whine that no birds were coming for the seed I put out. Now we easily get a hundred at a time (at least in the winter.) Trust me when I say that "eating like a bird" is not what most people think it is, but they are a total joy to me.

Shauna; The cardinals (most of which probably grew up together this past year in our backyard,) still tolerate each other to a certain extent. As breeding season nears, however, I know that will change--last year we watched some pretty persistent & nasty cardinal fights.
The blue jays are very suspicious of us, so I'm always glad when I can catch one in a photo like this.

Mark said...

Looks like the cardinals are lovin your yard...

Lana Gramlich said...

Mark; Thanks for stopping by. :) We sometimes joke about "Charles & Lana's Cardinal Emporium." At least now we have a digital camera for the veritable explosion of chicks again (I'm sure,) this coming Spring!

Marvin said...

Great photos of the cardinals, Lana. They are one of my favorite birds. Up here where we have less green and more drab during the winter, the males stand out like a beacon.

Lana Gramlich said...

Marvin; Thanks. We love them. They're like flying rubies in the woods.

Chris said...

Wow, you have so many cardinals!!! I'm jealous. Nice pictures!

Lana Gramlich said...

Chris; Thank you!

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

10 cardinals!!! I'm jealous too!
Hope that baffle works for you - let me know.

Lana Gramlich said...

Zen Birdfeeder; It's on it's way. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your help! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails