My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, January 25, 2008

Thursday Night's Dream; ARM, the Headdress & Police

I was at a meeting, sitting at a conference table with business people. I refinanced our house to make lower payments. At the end of the meeting the woman casually mentioned my new, adjustable rate mortgage, at which point I freaked & said that wasn't any good & I wouldn't accept it. Later Charles & I were at a museum & decided to "liberate" a Native American chief's headdress. It was a cow skull with a tuft of hair sticking out the top. A large group of others in the museum supported us, creating a distraction as we took it down from the wall. I put it on my head to wear it out. I was also wearing a Native American style outfit with a bikini style top. Due to the unusualness of my outfit, I figured someone along the way would question us, but no one ever did. We got into the elevator to descend to the ground floor & leave. Once the doors closed & the car started to move, however, it seemed to be hanging from a single cable, twisting & turning erratically. It made me terribly nervous. Because it didn't line up correctly, the doors wouldn't open when we reached the ground floor. Charles opened the operating panel &, using the "slow" button, brought us back up & down, moving the car into correct position so that we could get out. Charles drove us home. A cop pulled in behind us in our driveway, which was a short walk from our house. The house was huge & fancy, up on a small hill. Charles stayed to deal with the cop as I continued on to the house (still wearing the headdress & my unusual outfit.) Walking up the hill to the house, a couple of Native Americans stopped me, gave me a Christian t-shirt & left. Right outside my front door, I was stopped by another cop with a thick, English accent. I cooperated with him & told him I hadn't had a car accident or moving violation in 19 years. He & I went inside, where I discovered A.F., who had made a mess of our place. I freaked on her, bringing up the time she had a party at my house in Ft. Erie. At least this time she was alone & nothing was broken or stolen. The English cop turned his attention to my unwanted house guest. No one ever seemed to suspect either Charles or I in the theft of the headdress.

I freaked out twice in this dream, once at the ARM & once at A.F. (who actually did have a party at my house in Ft. Erie years ago when she was supposed to be house sitting for my ex & I. We ended up having to cut our vacation short because of it & when we ret'd home, I eventually found things broken & missing, including a case of beer bottles that'd been smashed in the street near our house. Needless to say, we were terribly disappointed.)
When we were 5 & on a family vacation, my brother & I ended up stuck in an elevator at Walt Disney World's Contemporary Resort. At the time I believed that meant that the elevator was going to plummet at any moment, killing us both. As a result, I totally freaked out & started screaming & kicking the door with all of my might. In actuality, however, the elevator had merely stopped between floors & we were easily rescued. Regardless, I was horribly traumatized & refused to use an elevator after that for at least a year or two.
The cow skull was also a real part of my life. When I was 16 or 17, I painted the cover of The Eagles' "One of These Nights" (pictured above,) on a jacket for a young man. It was arduous work, but it paid well & came out looking great. Years later my mother found a cow skull on her property & gave it to me. I cleaned it & hung it on my living room wall, but for some reason it made me uncomfortable, so I eventually gave it to someone else. In retrospect I wish I would've kept it.
My telling the cop that I haven't had an accident or ticket in 19 years is incorrect. It's been 20 years now. My manager at work has an English accent, although it's not nearly as thick as the cop's was.

5 comments:

Miladysa said...

Phew - reads like this was a stressful dream!

I used to dream about houses quite a lot of one stage and was informed (rightly or wrongly) that in the dream a house/home represented myself. I'm not sure though.

Wishing you sweet dreams tonight :)

Lana Gramlich said...

Miladysa; This was more exciting than stressful.
I've heard of the house/self theory. Another theory suggests the house symbolizes the dreamers mind; the attic would be one's "higher" or conscious mind, the basement would be the depths of the subconscious, etc. Objects in the rooms would represent things in the respective parts of one's mind. They're both useful tools, at any rate, different ways to look at things.

Charles Gramlich said...

Everybody probably thought you were too cute to harass over the stolen cow skull.

Charles Gramlich said...

Everybody probably thought you were too cute to harass over the stolen cow skull.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; You're so nice you said it twice. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails