My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LND; In the City

I was driving in a city. Soon I realized that everyone in front of me was passing someone going so slow they were sure to cause an accident. I also passed when I had the chance, honking & flipping them off. Later I was on a roof with P.C., talking about how cities were soul-sucking places where no one should ever live. D.T. came & asked me something. I didn't understand what he was saying & asked him to repeat himself a number of times. Soon he was annoyed with me. He was asking if we wanted coupons he had for a place that made some kind of sandwich (that started with "m,") that I'd never heard of. He explained how the coupons worked (they were kind of like stamp cards--you had to buy so much before you got a discount.) I said I wouldn't use them, so he gave them to P.C. He couldn't believe I'd never heard of those sandwiches before. As he was speaking, I noticed what looked like a short tank truck losing control on the street below. It went behind some buildings, coming out again closer to us, in an open area where kids were playing with Snoopy (& other characters.) It wasn't really a truck--it was some kind of yellow, mechanical hippo. Fortunately no one got hurt.

P.C. was a coworker from my last job whose life really fell apart after Hurricane Katrina (too many people had this happen.)
D.T. is a friend/mentor's son who I haven't seen in over 20 years.
My clear disdain for city living comes through loud & clear here.
The truck/hippo may represent my Mom, who barreled through our childhood haphazardly & without care for our welfare (although my bro & I both survived.) Then again, it could be a nod to the DetrolLA commercial, where a couple of pipe-people enjoy seeing metal animals at a fantasy zoo. In a different vein, a yellow, metal object also appeared in my dream on Feb. 24th.

I took the picture this past Monday--I hadn't realized that we have Carolina jasmine growing near the nuthatchs' nest (& all through the woods around here, actually.)

14 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Ah, so you were driving in Detroit, eh? (haha -- it does sound like a typical excursion on I-94)

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; ...or NY or Austin or Toronto or Buffalo...Take your pick. <:\

Miladysa said...

Fascinating dream Lana.

Another wonderful photograph, you have an amazing eye. The bark on that tree is amazing :-D

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

lana - up to my eyes in mundania (and earthquakes!) at the moment....
- love the jasmine shot.

ivan@cretivewriting.ca said...

Again an incredibly vivid account of a dream, worthy, as some here opine, of a short story, or at least an intro, so good the writing.

Yeah, parents and children.
In rare moments, my own grown children will admit, "We're okay.
Scarred, but okay."

Lana Gramlich said...

Miladysa; Thanks. Another one of our dwindling longleaf pines. That one's already dead (which is why the nuthatches are using it as "home.")

Julie; I saw your post about the earthquake! Is everything okay your way?

Ivan; Thank you. I sometimes think of a friend of mine, who seems to sometimes feel "lost" because he had a good upbringing. It seems he may feel he missed out on some valuable life lessons that way. So we're damned if we do & damned if we don't, it seems! *L*

Chris said...

Great photo!
Your dreams are always so interesting.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom and your childhood. :(

Charles Gramlich said...

that "M" sandwich might be a muffallata.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; No...it was 3 syllables & ended with "o" ("molito," maybe?) It wasn't a real sandwich name, which was partly why I'd never heard of it.

Lisa said...

I'm always so amazed at the details in your dreams! So specific!

Love the pretty yellow flower in this picture, as well as the tree itself!

david mcmahon said...

Beautiful jasmine, Lana

And I admire the details you remember in your dreams - I can't remember anything!

Ello said...

Wow, there is a whole lot going on in your dream. You know one day I would love to hear what Charles give as an interpretation to one of your dreams. There is so much going on that I wonder what your subconscious is trying to tell you! Well that's what you get for being like the smartest person in America!

Travis said...

When you said sandwiches that start with an M, I immediately thought of MOAB. I'm trying to remember where that restaurant was...I think somewhere in central California.

I do remember the fantastic loose meat and pulled pork bbq sammiches.

Lana Gramlich said...

Lisa & David; Thank you.

Ello; Charles isn't a clinician, actually--he's on the experimental side of psychology. I'm sure he'd agree with me when I say that only the dreamer can truly interpret their dreams. I hope to take some time this weekend to have a look back at some of these & puzzle some stuff out, at any rate.

Travis; There are so many good sandwiches, actually. I don't really eat sandwiches much these days, now that I think about it. A nice Cuban sandwich would hit the spot about now! And then CAKE, of course.

Related Posts with Thumbnails