My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, February 22, 2008

LND; State's Evidence & the Woodpecker

I got involved with a couple I didn't know who were planning to do something illegal. While engaging in something related to our scheme, I was busted by a pair of cops (a man & a woman.) I decided to save myself & turned state's evidence against my cohorts. As a result I was free to go. I ended up in a parking lot near woods. I was trying to get some things into the trunk of my car, including a shopping cart. One of the cops who had initially busted me (an old boss in "real" life,) showed up & started giving me a hard time, suggesting that I was stealing the stuff. Between trying to find & gather my things & his harassment, I got pissed off & started yelling. The cop evidently felt bad about how he'd treated me & his attitude softened--he became almost apologetic & certainly much friendlier. I heard the "chirrrrr" sound of a red-bellied woodpecker & looked over to the woods, where I saw the bird on a tree.

I've sometimes thought that if I ever got caught doing something illegal (which isn't going to happen anyway, since I'm a law-abiding citizen,) I would fess up & take responsibility for my actions. Turning state's evidence here is clearly symbolic of self-preservation (most likely related to actions I had to take in my youth.)
The male cop appearing as my previous boss bolsters the probability that he represents authority or being "in-charge," perhaps the Freudian concept of the superego. The man & woman cops can also be seen as a "couple," in a sense, so they may be related to the couple I was criminally involved with. These opposing couples (criminal vs. legal,) may represent the id vs. the superego, in which case I may be the ego, caught in-between (& engaged in self-preservation, as previously mentioned.)
I'm pretty mellow in "real" life--very even-keeled. It takes a LOT to get me upset, let alone mad enough to yell.
All of the local red-bellied woodpeckers have become very vocal lately (perhaps because we're getting into nesting-time here,) so I'm not surprised to hear one in this dream.

You Are the Super Ego
While some people may think first and act later, you often don't act at all. You'd rather be safe than sorry and you take ethics pretty seriously. Like everyone, you have some pretty crazy desires, but unlike everyone, you restrain yourself. You have high standards for your own behavior and you happily exceed them.

13 comments:

Billy said...

I am left wonderinfg what the state's evidence might have been. Hmmm... That would be very interesting in the overall analysis.

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

Where do you find them....had to laugh; came out as ego. I've come to the conclusion that my dreams don't have anything like the logical sequence that yours do!

Miladysa said...

What a hectic night! :-D

I love the sound of a woodpecker but I do not think I have heard one in years :-{

Super Ego for me to!

Lana Gramlich said...

Billy; I don't remember what the crime was about, unfortunately. Something petty--theft or some such. Nothing dramatic, at any rate.

Julie; I find 'em on Google. ;) Sometimes my dreams are sequenced somewhat crazily, but I have to determine the best way to put them into words, which sometimes make them seem more smooth-flowing.

Miladysa; *High 5 for the Super Egos!* We should start our own band. *L* We've had all kinds of different woodpeckers here in the past year & a half, but the red-bellied variety are very common in our area. We love them all, of course.

Shauna Roberts said...

I'm a Superego as well.

My backyard was full of finches this morning, including at least four goldfinches (perhaps more, but that was the most I saw clustered in one tree). They were happily eating the seeds on the weeds I've been planning to uproot when I had some free weekend time. Now I think maybe I'll leave the weeds for them, at least until spring comes and there's more to eat.

Lana Gramlich said...

Shauna; Good idea!

Brave Astronaut said...

OK there, Super Ego. Tag, you're it.

Erik Donald France said...

Freud rocks ;)

Triage. Trio. Three-in-one, like Father Son and Holy Ghost . . .

Charles Gramlich said...

Maybe you should come over to my place and let's talk about those "crazy desires."

Brave Astronaut said...

Well I don't know Charles. I mean, I've known Lana so much longer . . . oh wait. Weren't you talking to me? Oh, never mind.

mon@rch said...

I love how the birds get worked into the dreams! Sorry about being arrested (LOL) glad it was just a dream!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Strange.

I used to have dreams of recalcitrant cars all the time, but that was a generation ago.
All I could figure out was that the car was me and the road was life.

Lana Gramlich said...

Blogger ate my previous comment. Drat. Okay, here goes...again...

Erik; Personally I'm more into Jung, but Freud seems to "work" here. 3 was a "magical" number far earlier than Xtianity, of course. To the Celts it was the best & most powerful number. No better way to convert people to your belief system than to integrate theirs into it. <:\

Charles; I'm already at our place...where are you? *L*

BA; *ROFL!*

Mon@rch; I always enjoy birds in dreams & even in dreams, I try to identify them. *L*

Ivan; To me a car often represents my independence, my ability to go where I will. Context makes a difference, of course.

Related Posts with Thumbnails