My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Study & Last Night's Dream; Around My Apartment

I was going to my apartment & had to cross through a couple of areas that Native American women lived in. The areas were marked almost like a football field & didn't have any buildings or plants on them (beyond scrubby grasses.) Each woman stopped me to tell me something. I got through them & climbed the staircase to my apartment. The staircase was tall, external, wooden & rickety. I didn't trust them. I ran into my landlord & told him my concerns about the stairs. He seemed to think that meant I was giving my notice, which was not my intention. Although I tried to explain myself better, he didn't seem to get it. I went outside, where I saw a bunch of goldfinches & a scarlet tanager.

Indians yet again (this time in Native American form.) Also a repeat of someone not getting/hearing/understanding me (see Feb. 2nd's dream.) The apartment doesn't reflect my reality. I live with Charles in a one-story house, not alone in an upstairs apartment. However, the rickety external stairs are reminiscent of my friends' apartment in Canada (back in '86-'87.) A lot was going on in my life then, so this dream may hold a message about then. The scarlet tanager may have been inspired by our local cardinals, of course. Particularly as I'd been considering how to do the study (above) recently.

This study (which was inspired by a photo & has since sold,) was difficult work, as I was using a 5x7" canvasboard (far smaller than I typically use.) I left the bottom largely white as that part would be covered by the frame, anyway. I may do a larger, more detailed version, but first I'm probably going to take a break & do something simpler or abstract. Sometimes concentration & intention needs to take a back seat to fun & spontenaity.

7 comments:

Christina said...

I'm curious about what the Native American women wanted to tell you. It sounds like a very enlightening dream.

Lana Gramlich said...

Christina; I wish I remember, too. Unfortunately it was a busy morning, so I didn't get to write everything down right away & that little detail was lost.

Michelle's Spell said...

Love the beautiful moon painting. It's really lovely and evocative. I so envy your ability with art. I'm stuck with stick figures at best -- if I'm feeling really ambitious, I put a ponytail on one of them for girl, a hat for a boy. Just out of curiousity, who are your favorite artists? I'm a big Mark Rothko fan.

Lana Gramlich said...

Michelle; Some of my favorite artists are in my "links" section; John William Waterhouse (#1,) Robert Bateman, M.C. Escher, Frank Frazetta, Bob Ross, the Brothers Hildebrandt, Salvadore Dali, etc.

Erik Donald France said...

awesome!

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; TYVM! :)

T.R. said...

I love that painting - can I just have a Lana Gramlich wall in my house!

Related Posts with Thumbnails