My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thursday Morning's Birds

It was an exciting morning for birding here at The Hermitage. While getting ready for work, I noticed a red-shouldered hawk out my window, harassing a pileated woodpecker & chasing it around. I was astonished the hawk would go after such a huge bird (particularly as there was at least 100 smaller birds all over my backyard.) Unfortunately the movement was too frenetic to capture on camera, but here's a chipping sparrow & a goldfinch watching a few other birds heading for the brush;In the midst of the hawk excitement, I saw a couple of crows flying over my house, carrying nesting materials in their beaks. Unfortunately I didn't get them on camera, either, but here's some goldfinches, chipping sparrows, a female cardinal and a white-throated sparrow;As usual, a squirrel was pilfering sunflower seeds while the getting was good. Actually, it was unusual to only have the ONE squirrel, but I digress. He really perturbed this poor blue jay, who looked at me at one point as if to say, "Well...Are you going to scare him off or what?"I also saw a male red-bellied woodpecker (the photo didn't come out very well, as he was heading behind some leaves.) I haven't seen a male in months, so I was quite pleased. This cheeky little goldfinch kindly posed for me;There were also chickadees, tufted titmice, brown-headed nuthatches, doves & more of "the usual" cardinals around. Here are more chipping sparrows (there's usually at least 30 at a time out here during the Winter,) a white-throated sparrow and a female eastern towhee;The movement out back was constant & frenetic. We often have quite a few birds through the Winter, but today really seemed record-breaking. I suspect some of our Winter visitors are getting ready for their trip back North. It'll be hard to say goodbye to the goldfinches, sparrows & robins, but I'm sure they'll be back again next year.

10 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Detroit has nowhere near the variety of birds, but we do have a variety in squirrels that's unusual.

Birds huddling in bushes during icy snow storms is a bit humbling -- they're so tiny, yet such survivors.

Birdfreak said...

Birds are so amazing! Great post as always and good birding to you!

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; Sometimes it surprises me that such teensy birds can survive such harsh conditions. We humans have it far better than we realize!

Birdfreak; Thanks & back atcha. ;)

Lisa said...

Sweet photos, Lana! Your story really makes me long for spring.
Have a great weekend! :)

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

The blue jay and the squirrel are priceless! We saw massive flocks of migratory birds while near the coast this afternoon - just checked the book, - they were migratory lapwings.

Lana Gramlich said...

Lisa; Thanks! You, too. :)

Julie; Very cool sighting!

Marvin said...

With all that activity in the yard, it must have been difficult to finish getting ready and get to work on time.

Lana Gramlich said...

Marvin; I was actually a few minutes late. <:\ Fortunately my manager's a nature nut, too.

Steve Malley said...

*Great* birds. We get some pretty good ones too, including oddball NZ species like pukeko, but I lack your clear talent for shooting them...

Lana Gramlich said...

Steve; Thanks. I find shooting them at my feeders is infinitely easier than trying to get them in the wild. Only here will they "stand still" (relatively speaking,) while I hide behind my "blind" (shooting through a tiny window in my back door.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails