My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yesterday's Hike at Northlake

I posted a picture from our hike at Northlake Nature Center yesterday, but there's so much to share I've decided to do a whole post (besides, I still have to string the notes of last night's dream into coherent format for posting.) As usual, clicking on the pix will bring up larger images.
I was intrigued by the geometry of this palmetto frond, flattened in the parking lot. I also liked the contrasting patterns between the leaf & the rocks. It appears to be black & white, but it's actually in color.
Looking up a huge, old, slash pine.
Check out the depth of the furrows in the bark!
Reflections of cypress trees in the swamp.
This anole was growing a new tail. It's one of their few defense mechanisms--they easily lose their tails so they don't lose their lives.
We also stumbled upon this bear in the woods. ;)
I was surprised to find this squirrel standing next to me on the railing of the boardwalk. When I stopped to check him out, he popped over to a nearby tree. When I squatted down & reached out my fingers as though I had a peanut (which I didn't,) he came right up to me. Although it's nice to feed the critters, when they end up as tame as this guy was, it endangers their lives. I'll stick with the bird feeders in my backyard.
My regular readers know that squirrels (aka; "rat bastards,") are my arch enemy, but Charles pointed out that this one didn't have to be, as he's too far away to accost our feeders. Still, my first picture of him revealed his true, demonic nature;
There was also some kind of little mole or a mouse nearby & earlier I got a picture of a distant egret, but it was far too wet to go very deep into the woods. Still, it was a beautiful day & a nice walk.

17 comments:

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

Lovely post, Lana; these images are exceptional, especially the palms and the cypress. Thanks for the tag - I'm sitting on a couple of them at the moment so it might not appear for a bit!

Lana Gramlich said...

Julie; No hurry on the meme...I never take it personally if anyone I tag declines, as I know how busy people can be.

Erik Donald France said...

Awesome angles on these. Whoah!

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; Danke. :)

Travis said...

I call the squirrels around my place cheeky bastards because they refuse to get off the steps when I'm walking. And they'll come up to the window and tease Mr Tucker.

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis; DOWN WITH SQUIRRELS, I SAY!!! I actually had one run at me once years ago, trying to scare me off (of my front porch.) I was like, "Oh no you di'int!"

mon@rch said...

Sounds like a wonderful hike and love seeing all your critters that you found! Thanks for sharing!

Lana Gramlich said...

Mon@rch; Anytime. Back atcha, of course!

Charles Gramlich said...

I liked the pictures we got of the squirrel. Too bad the smoke didn't show that was coming out of those red eyes.

Lisa said...

What a productive hike you had, Lana! These pictures are awesome, and I love the demonic squirrel! LOL.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Um,
What is an anole?

Sounds like my last department head at the college I taught at in Canada.

natural woman said...

great viewpoint on the tree, i love it. nice close-ups too. really focuses on your subject.

Tom said...

Lana,

Great photos. I especially love the long leaf pine shot. I've mostly seen these trees as spindly plantings in re-forestation plots in South Carolina. Amazing specimen you have posted!

Tom

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

Not your average bear, I'd say.

Marvin said...

So the true nature of a squirrel is revealed. Great shots, Lana. I especially like the reflections in the swamp.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; *LOL*

Lisa; It was a lovely hike, but then again, they all are, really. Nature rocks.

Ivan; Click the link I provided.

Natural Woman; Thank you. I was fortunate in that my subjects were very patient & unafraid.

Tom; We're fortunate to live in the middle of one of the old pine stands, surrounded by huge, old specimens. They really are something to see.

Zen birdfeeder; Good thing for us! *L*

Marvin; Thanks! I'm using the swampy reflection picture as my desktop wallpaper right now, actually. That way I get to visit the nature center every day (at least in spirit!)

Larry said...

Nice images!I especially like the one that's looking up the Longleaf Pine-really cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails