My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, March 21, 2008

Dreams Come True..?

One of my readers recently asked if dream symbols sometimes find their way to my "real" life. Indeed they do (although I may have never come to realize it if I weren't so disciplined about keeping dream journals.) Some (of many) examples;

Nov. 16, 2000 ("real" life); A tree branch blew down in a storm, ripped off my porch light & the house's electrical supply. It landed on my car, causing $2700 worth of damage. I went to I.D.'s to email a friend (to let him know I was okay,) but I.D. wouldn't let me use his computer. I got mad about it & decided I'd just never go there again. Although I.D. & I have since reconciled, around this time we were having serious difficulties. This event was the straw that broke my back, where our tumultuous relationship was concerned. Soon after this, however, I remembered a recent dream & looked it up in my journal;
Nov. 13, 2000 (dream); I was at I.D.'s. One of us got mad at the other & I was leaving, intending never to return. There was also something about my car being scratched up & dented.

July 20, 2001 (dream); I was applying for a new job and hit it off well with the interviewer. She implied that I had the job, but after checking with the office she told me it'd been filled.
July 23, 2001 ("real" life); I had an interview for a new job & hit it off well with the interviewer. She implied that I had the job, but after checking with the office she told me it'd been filled.

Sept. 9, 2001 (dream); I was driving my car & saw a bald eagle fly low over the car. Also something about fireflies.
Sept. 11, 2001 ("real" life); World Trade Center & Pentagon hit by hijacked commercial airplanes.
(This instance also involved various physical symptoms I suffered around this time in "real" life. The entire story ended up published in the American Journal for Psychical Research.)

July 10, 2002 (dream); I was on a road trip, had driven a long time. Remembered that I'd only left with a 1/4 tank of gas, which meant I was surely near empty now.
The day after this dream my car broke down, acting like it wasn't getting gas (although I have a 1/4 tank.) I tell automotive friends about the problem & one comes by for a look. Everyone thinks it's the fuel pump. The next day I had my car towed to a local garage where, to my chagrin, I learn that my gas gauge must've crapped out recently--I'd merely run out of gas.
I think this incident was clearly related to subconscious knowledge, not some kind of strange coincidence or fluke. Part of my brain knew I'd been driving far too long on 1/4 tank of gas & was trying to get my conscious attention. If only I had listened!

August 4, 2002 (dream); I had a copy of M.Z. Bradley's "Mists of Avalon" for sale at my pagan shop. I spoke with a girl who came in about it.
August 14, 2002 ("real" life); Rec'd email from 17 year old girl; "Hi, I just visited your website for Niagara Pagans. I recently read Mists of Avalon, the tale of Arthur of the round table through the eyes of a priestess. After reading that book I realized that I believed in the ways of their pagan religion. I'm in the process of reading more about paganism. Any response to this e-mail would be greatly appreciated."

Wed., Oct. 30, 2002 (dream); Something about gangsta-rap, East v. West rivalry. Although I wasn't nuts about the spokesman (Michael Jackson,) I rooted for the East.
Oct. 31, 2002 ("real" life); In the news...
NEW YORK (Associated Press)--Jam Master Jay, a founding member of the pioneering rap trio Run-DMC, was shot and killed at his recording studio near the New York neighborhood where he grew up, police said. Two men were buzzed into the second floor studio shortly before shots were fired inside its lounge 7:30 p.m., Wednesday police said. As of early today, police had made no arrests. Mizell is the latest in a line of hip-hop artists to fall victim to violence. Rappers Notorious B.I.G. & Tupac Shakur were murdered within seven months of each other in 1996 and 1997--crimes that some believe were the result of an East Coast-West Coast rap war, but Run-DMC and their songs were never about violence. The group promoted education and unity. In 1986, the trio said they were outraged by the rise of fatal gang violence in L.A. They called for a day of peace between warring street gangs. "This is the 1st town where you feel the gangs from the minute you step into town to the time you leave," Mizell said at the time.

Dec. 17, 2002 (dream); R.H. & I got in a van. He drove in reverse quite a bit of a stretch, kind of veering this way & that.
Dec. 18, 2002 ("real" life); In the news...
MINNEAPOLIS (Associated Press)--Authorities were trying to determine what to do about a 7-year-old boy who stole a car, drove around for a while & crashed not just once, but twice. Around 8 a.m. Tuesday morning, the boy drove a stolen car in reverse & smashed it into another car, slightly injuring a 10 year old boy riding with his mother & younger sister in the other car, police said.

Sept. 25, 2004 (dream); I was in a car, riding through California. There'd been an earthquake.
Tues., Sept. 28, 2004 ("real" life); In the news...
PARKFIELD, California (Associated Press)--A strong earthquake shook the state Tuesday from Los Angeles to San Francisco, cracking pipes, breaking bottles of wine and knocking pictures from walls. There were no immediate reports of any injuries from the 6.0-magnitude quake and its more than 160 aftershocks.

Jan. 31, 2006 (dream); I was shot 3 times with a shotgun; once in the chest, once in the back & once (in the leg?)
Feb. 4, 2006 ("real" life); On Forensic Files a man was shot with a shotgun 3 times; once in the chest, one grazed his back & once in the lung.

What do these (& many other) examples show? At the end of the day, not a damned thing, really. Is any of this proof of premonitions in dreams? Not really. All of these events can be chalked up to coincidence, of course. There really is no proof one way or another & I doubt such proof will be found any time soon, either. Personally, I know I couldn't duplicate such events on command under any controlled conditions. I never go to bed trying to invoke premonitions--I just let my dreams happen. That they seem to be premonitions doesn't become clear until after the fact. Ultimately I don't have any power to change these events, anyway & many of them don't even affect me directly. Some are certainly intriguing, but there's really very little else to say about them.
I would love to see more research done in this field, but I can't even imagine how that would happen. This phenomenon seems to exist beyond the bounds of modern science, so how could anyone apply modern scientific practices toward the study of it?

14 comments:

Miladysa said...

Absolutely fascinating post Lana.

I have no idea how 'modern science' could possibly hope to research such incidents. Whether they can or they can't premonitions do exists.

An example would be an occasion where my mother knew that my uncle [her brother-in-law] had died and quietly waited for the call from my aunt [who lived in America] to inform her of the news.

Erik Donald France said...

It's all astonishing and palpable. Eerie. Meanwhile, my aging father wants to know if Athena's owl has a name?

Lana Gramlich said...

Miladysa; Glad you enjoyed. Thanks for reminding me that I'd been meaning to post about it!

Erik; Not that I know of (but my focus is more on Celtic mythology than Greek.) Mythologically speaking, it's not that Athena had an owl so much as it was that Athena was the owl.

Marvin said...

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." (Niels Bohr)

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

Think your last comment really puts the finger on it - its beyond the rational, so how can it be analysed. Great post for bringing something to awareness.

Shauna Roberts said...

Very cool post, Lana. I've had only a few premonition dreams in my life. Your dreams seem to often have coherent or semicoherent plots, so that probably raises the chance that some will come true (since they are something that could actually happen, as opposed to bizarre events constantly morphing into something else).

Lana Gramlich said...

Marvin; Indeed. *L*

Julie; Thanks!

Shauna; I guess there is a benefit to frequently mundane dreams, after all. *L*

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I'm hoping not many of mine are premonitions. If so the world is in trouble.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; You ain't kidding! Or is it that other worlds would be in trouble?

Erik Donald France said...

Ah, yes on Athena the Owl. Apparently also the Athenians had coins they called Owls, like Canadians have Loons.

Athena rocks -- as do the Celts ;)

Travis said...

I enjoy the debate between psychic premonition or coincidence.

Thanks for sharing these...it was very interesting reading.

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; Ironically, the Canadian "loonie" got it's name because the citizenry largely thought the idea of a dollar coin was such a stupid waste of time & energy that "loonie" seemed an apt name.

Travis; You're quite welcome. It's an intriguing subject, to be sure!

Chris said...

That's pretty neat Lana, the real life examples happened only a few days after your dreams! Somehow I don't think thats a coincidence! I've never had a premonition, don't think I would want one...it's a lot to bare.

Lana Gramlich said...

Chris; I also have some that didn't "come true," so to speak, until a year or more afterwards, so who can say what force(s) are at work? It's really nothing to bear, though, since the "premonition" isn't realized until after the fact. It's just a dream, until something similar happens in "real" life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails