My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Old Painting & LND; Cops & Cons

I was with a friend, going on a picnic. In talking with them about it, I came up with the phrase, “nat & ?at.” “Nat” was short for natural. The second word rhymed, but I don’t remember what it was or what it stood for. Later we ended up at a campground. We went into a cabin that had tall, narrow windows in at least 2 walls. My friend sat down on the bed while I checked out the cabin, which was almost like a motel room. Soon a cop car pulled up & a policeman came to our door. We weren’t supposed to be there, so I was a little worried. We let him in & answered his questions. Turns out he was looking for a specific person & wasn’t interested in what we were doing in the cabin. Soon after he left we also went back outside. There was a large group of people not far from where we were, so we went to check out what was going on. It turned out to be a workshop or conference held by the local police on how to avoid being ripped off. There was a policeman on stage with a few young people (who were con artists,) including a young woman. The policeman picked me as a volunteer for a demonstration. I realized around this time that most of my fingernails had grown long enough to tap on a nearby railing. I went up on stage, where the young woman gave me a manicure for 99 cents (although I wouldn’t actually have to pay her.) Afterward the policeman spoke to the crowd & I went back to where my friend stood. I didn’t have 99 cents, but I took out all the change I had & about 5-6 slices of whole wheat bread. I approached the young woman, who was now sitting in the passenger’s seat of a van. I offered her the bread, which she refused. Although she had been pleasant enough before, now she had an obnoxious attitude (& considering that I was offering her payment when I didn't even have to, I was offended.) I said I’d just give the bread to the birds then & offered her the change, which she took. As we left soon after that, a policeman stopped us & asked for ID. Going through my wallet, I realized I didn’t have my driver’s license. I told the cop & my friend that & added (to my friend,) that I’d been lucky that the previous cop (at the cabin,) hadn’t asked for it.

Ironically, at the convenience store this afternoon (in "real" life,) the cashier asked me about my wallet.
Although I participated in a demonstration of a con game, I never learned what the con was or how to avoid it (other than to stay away from people offering 99 cent manicures, maybe?)
"Bread" is (of course,) slang for money, but where the whole wheat comes from is beyond me. At least even my subconscious is looking out for the birds' welfare.
Although I've had long nails in the past (on a bet, in one case,) for most of my life I've had a bad, nervous nail biting habit. Nails of much length at all just get in the way of everything I do, anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

The painting is from my fantasy period, back in the late 80's-early 90's. I've always had problems copying or otherwise mechanically-reproducing this painting. Machines just do NOT like it (color copiers, for example, just won't "see" the bottom half of it & even this professional scan came out with diagonal lines on it.) A friend told me years later that she'd never noticed the dragon in this painting (which was kind of surprising to me.) Although I called it "Marsh of the Dead," I learned later that this is actually a swamp. Marsh is flooded grassland, not flooded forest.

2 comments:

Miladysa said...

I really like this painting Lana - I can see it as a book cover for a children's book. My youngest daughter would LOVE that dragon :-D

Lana Gramlich said...

Miladysa; Thanks so much for your kind words. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails