My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, March 3, 2008

LND; Diverted & Making My Way Back

I went to F. & S.G.'s house (but at J. & A.'s location,) to get my knapsack because they were moving. Others I knew at the house next door made me go with them & took me far away. They dropped me off downtown in a small city. I started heading back to F. & S.G.'s. I found my way to a local pagan resource/social center & asked if I could make a few phone calls. A man at a desk nearby said okay. While dialing to make the last call, a woman came to tell me that the man (who was now on the phone,) may kick me off if I take too much advantage. I was annoyed (he'd okayed it afterall,) & said that I was on my last phone call, anyway. After that I left. Now it was nighttime. I had my backpack on & went into a very dark bar/restaurant. I made my way through & went out the back door. The back porch was screened in & a black man was sitting on the floor near the door. He greeted me excitedly. I returned his greeting & left. Outside the ground was covered with about 4" of water. A dog came out of nowhere & wouldn't leave me alone. It took some effort to get it to go away. I left the flooded area. Now it was daytime again. The sidewalk ahead (which I'd walked previously,) had a curve in it that wasn't there before & also a small fountain. There were city buildings across the street to the left. To the right & straight ahead was mostly manicured parkland. A couple of acres away (in front of me,) I saw a huge, white Church. Walking across the sidewalk (to the left,) about 100' ahead of me was an enormously round woman in silver dress. A hawk was in a tree to my right.

Lots of reflections of my days as a pagan (although I was never completely comfortable with that label.) Paganism & a backpack also appeared in my dream on Feb. 25th. Although I was going back to F. & S.G's to get my backpack, on waking I realized that I was wearing it through much of my journey back to their house. This may be coming up because I left my main backpack with pagan friends some time ago. Although they assured me they'd return it, they've since lost it. It was a high quality backpack & a gift from a friend, so I'm somewhat pissed off about it.
Sitting on the floor also came up in yesterday's dream.

The picture (taken pre-digital camera,) is of a gorilla at Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. Although I appreciate the proximity to animals that zoos offer, I hate to think of animals taken from their natural habitats & kept in relatively small spaces for their entire lives. I also know that zoos do good work & that some of the animals are not fit for the wild, so I'm kind of torn about the whole thing.

13 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Lots of strange dreams for me last night. I dreamt at one point of Satan (horns and all) wanting to marry a human woman. Three younger people were there as well and one of them was going to perform the ceremony. But he and the bride kept stalling, trying to deflect the purpose. Eventually, the devil sort of gave up and just sat down in an easy chair and started chatting casually with the others there.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; *ROFL!* That's too much. I don't remember anything from my dreams last night, personally. I must have needed the sleep.

Demon Hunter said...

LOL @ Charles.

Lana,
While I like zoos because it gives us an up-close and personal view of animals, I don't like the fact that animals are held captive...IMHO

Billy said...

Lana, your dreams have really made me want to start a dream journal again (and also re-read LaBerge's book on lucid dreaming as well).

It's been years since my son and I went to Audubon Zoo since he's now in college. Well, we actually went last year for nostalgia sake, but it wasn't the same--his innocence is gone--so I don't count it. My favorite was the orangutan exhibit. Four years ago, the patriarch of the troop died--it was in the Times Picayune--and I cried. He had become a friend over the years, an animal who made my son and I laugh on a dozen occasions.

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

Grief, lana, that's a large looking bird you got there.....(:

!!!

Share your sentiments on zoos, especially in relation to large animals, and creatures like polar bears. Wretched dilemma nowadays in terms of conservation.

Lana Gramlich said...

DH; I agree, but I've also accepted that humankind is wiping multiple species off the face of the earth at an alarming rate, so what's worse, really? Audubon Zoo has a whooping crane breeding program (among others,) so I do have to give them kudos for that.

Billy; I agree on the orangutans. Charles & I spent most of our time there enjoying them.

Julie; Agreed. I'm not really holding out hope that "conservation" is going to help, when everything's said & done. After all, things have only gone downhill for most critters during my lifetime (40 years now.)
I witness it daily with our tiny stand of longleaf pine forest. So many birds must have this forest to live (like our brown headed nuthatches, bobwhite quail, etc.,) yet every day more acreage is cleared for homes & shopping centers. We KNOW these birds are disappearing...but ultimately humans consider a new McDonald's more important. *snort*

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

...Particularly sad about the forest in your area.

Lana, if it appeals to you I'd like to award you the new Art Award on my blog sidebar - (Absolute Vanilla has the rules and info on hers if you'd like them)- I'm playing serious catchup at the moment so haven't done this conventionally - but the appreciation is there especially for all your lovely painting and photography over the last months!

Miladysa said...

Loved this dream. I often dream of water.

I share the split feelings regarding zoos also.

david mcmahon said...

I think I sleep so soundly that I never dream!!

Lisa said...

My dreams are always really crazy. I would write them down, but I have a hard time remembering the details in the morning. And when I wake up from a dream in the middle of the night, I don't want to risk not being able to fall asleep again! I've been having a lot of recurring dreams of having a big recital coming up, and I'm totally unprepared. I don't know my music, can't find my dress . . . aaaaahhhhh!

T.R. said...

Folks, if you like the way Lana dreams you should see the way she paints. She is a marvelous artist - she has a magical style -- which I can now attest too since arriving from the post office. Lana you are a gift!!!!

Travis said...

I'm of two minds about zoos as well. On the one hand, I like that we can preserve some species that are endangered. And I appreciate getting to see the animals.

But it would be better if we could figure out how to co-exist, allowing them to have their space while we take up less of it.

That's my idealism showing again.

Lana Gramlich said...

Julie; Wow, I'm honored! Thank you so kindly for the award! You're too sweet. :) (I'm playing catch up, too, so it may take me a little while to sort that all out.)

Miladysa; I wish I dreamed more of water & less of police. *L*

David; You do so dream (or else you'd be dead.) You just don't remember. Not everyone has the time to put toward it, but I always do recommend it to those who do.

Lisa; I'd say that recurring dream's probably relatively simple to decipher. I do recommend the dream journaling, of course. If you wake in the middle of the night, even if you can just jot down a few words that can help trigger things once you formally wake in the morning. A nearby night light might help with this (or a lamp w/a low wattage bulb.) Light enough for a little writing, but not enough to jar you out of sleepiness, y'know?

T.R.; I'm so very glad the paintings reached you intact (& that you like them as much as you do.) You're the one that rocks! :)

Travis; Yes, totally. I used to hope for co-existence, too. Then I saw where the last 30 years have gotten us. Some people might consider me cynical. Unfortunately I consider myself realistic. <:\

Related Posts with Thumbnails