My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, April 7, 2008

Coot & Recent Dreams; Cults

Sunday night’s dream; I was with others. We survived a deadly storm. Later I was having dinner with others outside on a street. A bus came by & picked us up for tour of the local area, which I’d recently moved to. The road we were on curved to the left. A large body of water was to our right. I was on that side of the bus, so I was able to see a whale’s fluke slowly submerging. I was bummed that I didn’t bring my camera & wondered why I hadn’t thought of it. The road curved to the left again. A little way down on the right was a gravel side road. The tour guide said it lead to a park area (that I hadn’t realized was there.) The bus dropped us off back where it picked us up & I got into my car to go home. I followed the same route the bus had taken, hoping to stop by the park for a quick look. Unfortunately I passed the gravel road in the dark (it was nighttime now,) I saw it too late to turn. I figured I could see it some other time & continued on to the end of the road. It was on one side of a river. I lived on the other side. The river had been frozen, allowing people to walk across, but now it was thawing. I left the car to check it out. There was only a little bit of ice left on the banks of the river. The bulk of it was completely melted. I realized that R.M. was driving straight for the river & tried to stop her, but it was too late. She was in the car, submerged in the water, but I could still hear her yelling for help from inside. I went in & opened the back door, which made the car surge back up in the water. It took her a few moments to get out, during which I was still concerned that she won’t make it. She implied that opening the back door was more hindrance than help, but there was little else I could have done. We got into my car. I thought there might be a route across the river through the park, so we drove the entire tour bus circuit again to get there. I drove slowly in the area, being careful not to pass it again. All of the locals were there, dressed in similar clothing, but so were R.M. & I. We realized that the area was some kind of cult compound. I asked people for help, but they didn’t seem to understand that we needed to get across the river. Under a tall overpass one woman told the others that she thought CNN should be removed from their TVs. I looked toward the river, but there were no bridges to the other side from the park, after all.

Last night’s dream; I went to work security at a large building that housed a cult. You had to be buzzed in & they took away all modes of communication (cell phones, etc.) I was posted in the main lobby, near some elevators. When my shift was over I went outside, but I didn’t have a car or a phone to call anyone to pick me up. I wanted to get back inside to use one of the administrator’s phones, but I was having trouble. I had to get to work at another post, but it was looking like I wasn’t going to make it. At one point I managed to sneak into an administrator's office, but a woman caught me & made me go back outside. I went to another area of the building, where a strange man was hanging out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This picture of an American coot was taken at Fontainebleau State Park a few months ago.

9 comments:

mon@rch said...

Your dreams are always so interesting! I think coots are cute!

Lana Gramlich said...

Mon@rch; Thanks! Did you see the indigo buntings in yesterday's post?

Miladysa said...

Ditto mon@arch regarding your dreams.

I took a look at the painted buntings - whow! I really hope they visit too :-D

You must be buzzing to get to the final of the contest. Fingers crossed for next time.

M

Charles Gramlich said...

Fountainbleu was cool

Lana Gramlich said...

Miladysa; I appreciate all of your enthusiasm. :)

Charles; We should consider an overnight campout there soon...Maybe this weekend?

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

This somehow makes me think of not a dream, but a Richard Brautigan story. Cults!
Your dreams seem perfact scenarios for short novels.

Ello said...

Your pictures are so awesome! And your dreams are so cool. I haven't had a good dream in awhile. I'll read yours and hope something rubs off on me.

Travis said...

I've had the submerged dream, with myself in the vehicle. I have a fear of drowning and that dream is often nightmarish, which is why I tend to remember it.

Lana Gramlich said...

Ivan; Thanks! Your own dreams would serve just as well, I'm sure. If only we could plug into some kind of dream-recording device overnight, eh?

Ello; Thank you. I'm sure some wonderfully strange dream will find its way to you soon. ;)

Travis; I'm afraid of being submerged in a car, myself. Years ago I had a nightmare that it happened & I swear that had I not woken when I did, I might have had a heart attack. Far more nerve wracking, however, was when the events of the dream started playing out in "real" life. Fortunately we didn't end up in the water, but you probably never saw someone go so pale & sweaty so quickly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails