My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, May 19, 2008

New Painting & Animals

I like painting little, stress-free pieces between larger, more detailed pieces as a bit of a break. I like to tell myself that it doesn't matter if the little pieces don't come out well, but myself doesn't believe it & I stress just as much. I painted this one today. Originally the idea was to have an abstract-like crow on that background, but I changed my mind at the last minute. It's called "Among Them," which is a bit of an inside joke between Charles & I. It's a 6x8" acrylic on canvasboard. I used some irridescent white for the fog at the bottom of the painting, but it's always virtually impossible to photograph well, the way it plays with light. This is a decent enough representation of the painting, at any rate.
In other news, I believe I saw a baby cardinal in our front yard today. It's about time for the chick explosion, so we'll see what the upcoming days bring. The wrens seem to have fledged & moved on. We've seen one or two of the brown headed nuthatches on occassion since they left the nest along our driveway (click the wrens link for more info on that, too.) I was delighted yesterday to spot this baby bluebird on my car.
It's been like Snow White's forest here over the last couple of weeks, which has been delightful. After the heavy rains the other night our backyard was completely flooded (at least for a day.) Charles (who sometimes mentions his poor eyesight, although he seems pretty eagle-eyed to me,) spotted something moving through the water. It turned out to be a broad-headed skink, about 8" long. We've also had a brown rat coming around for scraps & bird seed, but he moves so fast he's impossible to photograph (so far, anyway.) The other day I managed to get this picture of a raccoon, a cottontail rabbit, a cardinal & a blue jay all in one;

25 comments:

laughingwolf said...

funny... i mentioned some folk are only good for buzzard bait on a friend's site... and here they are, waiting! ;) lol

great pics and links too, thx lana :)

Chris said...

I love your vulture silhouette painting! What a perfect red background, it really works for the feel of the painting!

Travis said...

I like the painting, especially the background color.

Vic Grace said...

I like your painting I particularly like your sky and the starkness of the picture.

BTW what is the definition of a dreamworker, sounds interesting

Charles Gramlich said...

Now if we could feed a few squirrels to those buzzards. Three in the back yard right now.

Lana Gramlich said...

Laughingwolf; Yes...How ironic!

Chris & Travis; Thank you. :)

Vic; Thank you. As for dreamworking, I work a lot with my dreams (& sometimes help others with theirs.) I haven't posted one lately, but if you go back a little bit, I was posting my dreams here on a regular basis. I've also posted about dream interpretation & precognitive dreams (see the labels in my sidebar.)

Charles; If you kill it, they will come. *LOL* No, just kdn...

Avery DeBow said...

I am in love with that painting. The colors are gorgeous.

The next Snow White photo needs to have Charles sitting in the middle of them, having his hair brushed by a squirrel.

Shauna Roberts said...

Beautiful painting and photos. It sounds as if you, too, are having a spring changeover in who visits your yard.

Sandpiper said...

Your painting and photos are wonderful.

Lana Gramlich said...

Avery; It's yours for $20, if you're interested. I agree on the Snow White photo, although if a squirrel got that close, Charles would probably be choking it. *L*

Shauna; A bit of a change-up, yes. We still have "the usual" birds, but a lot of new stuff, too. Not to mention that the local raccoons USED to be nocturnal.

Sandpiper; Thank you kindly. :)

Marvin said...

Y'all have quite a menagerie going there at The Hermitage.

Cool painting.

Lana Gramlich said...

Marvin; Thanks. Yes, I'm half expecting a giraffe to walk out of the woods out back one of these days. *L*

Lynda Lehmann said...

Lana, that would be a peak moment for me, to catch all those creatures in one photo! You must live in a beautiful and peaceful place!

We had a baby bunny in the back yard every day for weeks. But now he's nowhere to be seen. I hope the neighbor's cats didn't get him.

I like your painting of the tree with birds in it!

Miladysa said...

The painting is wonderful!

Larry said...

Geeze-You'd think Dr. Doolittle was living at your house with all the animals rambling about in your yard.

mon@rch said...

Wonderful painting and your baby birdies are cuties!

Lana Gramlich said...

Lynda; Yes, I think we're blessed out here in "the sticks" (although, post-Katrina, "the sticks" are getting more & more populated.) Hope your local baby bunny's okay! <:(

Miladysa & Mon@rch; Thanks!

Larry; He may have secretly taken up residence in the crawlspace. *LOL*

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

You have a delightful painting!!! Love the imagery and colors. Great photos too. What would we do if we didn't live in the sticks!!! A neighbor had the bear on her back porch last night. I asked her if its snout was blue. :D

Hugs, JJ

Lana Gramlich said...

JJ; Thank you! I prefer "the sticks" anyday. :) No bears yet, though! *L*

Natural said...

love the first picture. it's so moody, like me.

Lana Gramlich said...

NW; Thank you, but I never thought of you as "moody!"

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

That is the coolest brown rat.

Looks like he's got a persnality.

Like maybe a ground squirrel.

Not bad for rodents.

Lana Gramlich said...

Ivan; The rat's funny to watch. I hope to get a picture of him one of these days.

Kate S said...

Awesome painting, Lana!

Lana Gramlich said...

Kate; Thank you kindly. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails