My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, July 25, 2008

Sky Watch

This is a photo of the launch of NASA's Space Shuttle, "Discovery," on June 2, 1998. This was the last shuttle mission to Russia's MIR space station. They were also trying to detect antimatter & it was the first time they used an especially lightweight paint on the main fuel tank (the large, orange unit the orbiter is attached to before launch.) Formal statistics regarding this mission are here. The building not far to the right of the launchpad in this photo is the VAB.
This was the only shuttle launch I've ever seen live & I would recommend it to anyone & everyone. Then again, I'm a total nerd/astronomy nut, so take that as you will. At the very least, a visit to Kennedy Space Center should be on everyone's "to do" list. Save an entire day for it & spring for the bus tour & at least one IMAX movie--you won't be disappointed!

Sky Watch is the brainchild of Tom Wigley.

15 comments:

LUIZ SANTILLI JR. said...

Fantastic shot about a magic moment, when the humanity want scape out of our planet!!

Have a happy weekend!

Island Rambles Blog said...

Nice SkyWatch post.must have been fun to take that shot......cheers.

AphotoAday said...

Cool... That would have been a gas to watch...

Marvin said...

Not only a cool photo, but historic too.

Wren said...

What a wonderful opportunity. I've been there and taken the tour (which is great) but to see a launch, live - wow! Great photo, great memory to share.

Birdffreak said...

That is so cool

Christina said...

Wow, that picture is awesome. It looks really laid back in the field. I went to a NASA station in Florida a long time ago, but we were waiting for a flight so we didn't get to stay very long. I need to revisit that place now that I'm older and could probably understand better.

laughingwolf said...

too fun... i'm a space nut, too... and jealous of your having seen one!

Travis said...

I would love to see a Shuttle launch in person. My sister lives near Edwards and has seen flyovers a couple of times.

nina said...

Wow-never seen a shuttle launch. Too cool!

Nina at Nature Remains

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper said...

Wonderful Sky Watch. What an awesome moment you've recorded. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lana Gramlich said...

luiz & birdffreak; Thank you!

island rambles, aphotoaday, wren & nina; Thanks. :) Yes, it was great. VERY impressive!

marvin; Yes. I think it was also during that visit (to KSC the day before,) that I got to watch part of the int'l space station being built. KSC's just SO cool (& before 9/11, most of it was free.)

christina; Thank you. This photo was actually taken from across the Indian River in Titusville, FL (next time I'm booking one of the few spots at KSC, itself, I swear!) Yes...you MUST go back.

laughingwolf; I'm fortunate that my brother lives so (relatively) close!

travis; Ooh, the flyovers must be cool, too!

pat; Anytime. Thank YOU for visiting. :)

Erik Donald France said...

Abosultely awesome -- must add to the list of things to do before the Big Sleep ;->

Charles Gramlich said...

I'd love to see a shuttle launch with you. I like watching the Nasa show with you.

Lana Gramlich said...

erik; Yes, you simply must!

charles; We should schedule to attend a launch right from the KSC seating area. We'd probably have to book that wayyyyyy in advance, but it'd be SOOO worth it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails