My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, September 5, 2008

New Art (Updated)

(Note; I'm still uploading Gustav videos to YouTube & will return to that subject in the next day or so.)
I'd been working on this acrylic painting on & off for quite a while now & struggled to finish it before Gustav arrived. My regular visitors may remember the original version (or study,) from this post. After further consideration, I decided to make a few changes. The water coming over the falls needed a more visible outlet. The whole scene needed more life, so I added animals & insects, some of which are somewhat hidden (i.e.; do you see the cardinal, the rabbit, the raccoon? Click on the image for a larger version.) I also wanted to include more warm colors--reds, oranges, pinks & yellows--to balance out the cool of the water, the sky & the vegetation. This final version is also much larger at 24x18" (which is certainly partly why it took me so long to finish.) I'm quite pleased with this. "Dreams of Glastonbury" (acrylic on canvasboard,) is for sale. Drop me a comment if you're interested.
(Updates: Nov. 2008; Artist of the Month [December] 2nd Place winner, Slidell Art League. May 2009; Published in the book of the Generation Fig Tree '09 art show. Jul. 2009; Scheduled to be published in Anthology of Friends; An Original Collection, Vol. 4.)

25 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I love the bunny and racoon. Great work, sweetums.

Shauna Roberts said...

Beautiful and peaceful.

Donnetta Lee said...

I really like this one, Lana. I found the bunny and the cardinal. Still looking for the racoon. You may have to give me a hint. Good to hear you made it through Gustav.
Donnetta

Travis said...

It's beautiful.

YogaforCynics said...

So you're not dead?
Glad to hear it.
Was just thinking of you today while listening, as I very rarely do, to Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here--probably their best post-Syd album).

Anyway, cool painting....

Steve Malley said...

Lovely! You have such a deft touch with colour!

Crayons said...

I like the composition and the peaceful atmosphere that you have created with color.

Middle Ditch said...

I understand from Charles' post that you have survived the storms. I love this picture but have not found the rabbit yet.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Beautiful job! So magical...
Glad to hear you are moving back to some normalcy.... Let's hope that's it for the season (big storms)

Chris said...

I love, love, love this painting. Adding warm colors to the sky made it pop! It took me a real long time to find that raccoon...but I did it. So peaceful, I want to be there!
Great job Lana!

Kim said...

Happy to hear that y'all are safe, sound & have your power back !! Now we're bracing for Ike....ugh.

Lana Gramlich said...

charles, shauna, travis, steve & caroline; Thanks. :)

donnetta; Hint--the raccoon's in the top half of the painting. Does that help?

drjay1966; Yes, we've survived! WYWH is a great album. BTW, today (9/6/08,) is Waters' 64th birthday. I wonder if he's listening to "Time." ;) Glad you like the painting.

middle ditch; Yes, we've survived. Hint--the rabbit's in the top half of the painting.

michelle; Thank you. Our eyes are now keenly fixed on Hurricane Ike, unfortunately...

chris; Thank you. :) I think the raccoon's the toughest thing to spot, so kudos to you!

kim; Yes! Have a look at our videos--the flood was something else here. As of Sat. night, Ike's path is pointing almost directly at New Orleans, so we're seriously hoping for a shift, of course. I had no idea y'all had a blog! I'm going to pop over for a visit right away!

Donnetta Lee said...

PS I just now found the raccoon! Thanks for the hint. I truly love this painting!
Donnetta

Lana Gramlich said...

donnetta; Glad you found it & like the painting. :)

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Magic.

coolwaterworks said...

Lovely drawing... It took me several minutes to find the raccoon. It is hiding well... :)

Lana Gramlich said...

ivan; Thank you. :)

coolwaterworks; Thanks. This was one of the largest paintings I ever did, so I got a great sense of satisfaction out of finally finishing it.

ThriftShopRomantic said...

Delightful piece, Lana. It's got a bit of a magical, storybook twinkle to it. :)

Lana Gramlich said...

TSR; Thank you. :)

Kate S said...

Oh, Lana, I LOVE that! Absolutely beautiful and magical.

Lana Gramlich said...

Why thank you, Kate! I hope all's been well with you! *hug*

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning!!!

~Randy "in the Buff"(alo)

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, "T" man! ;)

Lynda Lehmann said...

Congrats to you, Lana! How very COOL!!!!

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, lynda! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails