My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Review; "Odysseys and Photographs"

I recently had the pleasure of reading another book from National Geographic; "Odysseys and Photographs; Four National Geographic Field Men." This coffee-table style, high-quality book weighs in at 224 pages and details the adventures of Maynard Owen Williams, Luis Marden, Volkmar Wentzel and Thomas Abercrombie. Spanning 75 years of the magazine's history, the book is also a window on history, a testiment to how far and fast humanity has progressed, technologically.
The book is informative in other ways, as well. I didn't know that Ben Franklin had been one of the Presidents of the National Geographic Society, for example. As usual, the photos (both color and black and white,) are stunning. The stories behind them are even more impressive, and in some cases give a clear indication of the Western mores of the time. An intriguing look back, from 1919 to 1994, in both words and pictures.

9 comments:

Tom said...

Lana-

Looks like a great book, I'll have to see if the Columbus Library has it available! Thanks for the recommendation.

Tom

Rick said...

I'm with Tom on this Lana. Thanks for the recommendation. My reading list grows longer every, but your recommendations go tot he top.

Scott said...

Lana,

This sounds like a cool book. I may have to check it out myself.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

What a great book review, Lana!!! Odysseys and Photographs looks like a great browsing book. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Awesome post and photo. :D

Hugs, JJ

Drowsey Monkey said...

Sounds interesting. I love books like that, I can get lost in them for hours.

eric1313 said...

What I would give to be able to work for them! I've spent so much of my life transient, I would not care where I woke up every day or how many miles on foot with pack, up hills, down mountains, what have ya...

Even to be their coffee gofer!

Have a great Turkey Day!

JR's Thumbprints said...

My uncle's a photographer living on Mackinac Island. His photographs are usually published on a Michigan calendar. He knows a few National Geographic photographs that shot in high def video and pull still frames. To me, I think that's cheating. Whatever happened to catching that perfect moment with all conditions being perfect, camera setting, subject, etc... Happy Holidays!

Michelle's Spell said...

Happy Thanksgiving, beautiful! I hope you and Charles are having a most excellent day!

Charles Gramlich said...

Nicely done, sweetness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails