My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

From Northlake to Fontainebleau

Sunday afternoon we went for a hike at Northlake Nature Center. While there, it seemed we had appropriate atmospheric conditions for a lovely sunset. Since we weren't far from the lake, we headed over to Fontainebleau State Park (a couple of miles away,) where my suspicions were confirmed...

As we arrived, hundreds of white ibises (in different flocks,) took flight, going to roost for the night.

Sailboats on Lake Pontchartrain with the world's longest bridge in the distance.

I'm amazed at the detail I can get with my DSLR (click for larger image.)
(This photo was featured on the front page of the St. Tammany News Jan. 7, 2009.)

Brown pelicans & a seagull with the Causeway bridge in the distance, again.

On our way out of the park we also saw some deer, but by then it was too dark for pictures (not to mention that I was driving.)

15 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Beautiful!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

OMG!!! These are incredible...!

Angie said...

Nice pics! I particularly love the sunset -- gorgeous colors.

Angie

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, y'all. These were all taken with my new (to me,) digital SLR. It's proving to be a GREAT camera!
It was also a great afternoon & I appreciate Charles for following my whim to the 2nd park to get these shots (not to mention the delicious, Italian dinner afterwards!)

earthtoholly said...

My goodness, those are amazing! I especially love the ibises, moon and sunset shots. That moon detail is great! Good job! :o)

Georgia said...

Hello, just came across your blog and I am so glad I did. These pictures are incredible! I love your art style as well. Best of luck to you.

Lana Gramlich said...

Holly; Thanks! I was really happy with the moon, once I got it downloaded. I've GOT to get me a digiscope one of these days!

Georgia; Welcome & thank you. Hope you continue to enjoy. :)

Natural said...

beautiful shot of the moon. i want a DSLR, but it will have to wait for a while.

Lana Gramlich said...

NW; Thanks. :) I got a great deal on a used DSLR. I don't even know all of the functions yet (I have an instructional DVD but haven't watched it yet,) & I'm already in love!

Travis said...

Oh yeah.

Barbara Martin said...

All the photos are beautiful, but the one with the flying birds speaks to me.

Tabib said...

I wish to have that birds flock in flight like that first picture.
(white ibises).
That sunset is spectacular!

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis; Thanks. ;)

Barbara & Tabib; Thank you! We got lots of pictures of the ibises (there were SO many flocks!) This one's my favorite, though.

Marvin said...

Awesome sunset, but I think the moon is my favorite.

Lana Gramlich said...

Marvin; I like that one, too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails