My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Top 5 New Birds Meme

A little while ago, The Zen Birdfeeder tagged me with a meme; to name 5 new birds I'd like to see at my feeders. I could name plenty, if geography is no object, but to "keep it real" I'll stick to possibilities from our own area.

1. Painted bunting. I was delighted enough to see indigo buntings (which come through on migration for a couple of weeks in April every year,) but to spot one of these increasingly rare & incredibly colorful beauties would likely make me jump for joy.
2. Bald eagle. Of course, one of these at my feeders would indicate the loss of one of "the regulars," but they're such a rare sight in my life that I could live with that (besides, nature's red in tooth & claw.)
3. Great horned owl. Ditto on the sacrifice mentioned above.
4. Red-cockaded woodpecker. We've seen just about every other possible woodpecker out here. I'd be delighted to see one of these unfortunately endangered birds taking advantage of our yard in any way.
5. Wild turkey. Not just delicious, they're lovely to see in the wild.

In considering this meme, brown headed nuthatches came to mind. My regular readers know that we've had these delightful, little, endangered birds around in the past. Unfortunately we stopped seeing them after Hurricane Gustav blew through, which made me kind of sad. Ironically, leaving for work the day after I thought of them, I saw 2 of them pecking at a pine tree along our driveway. It seems that they ARE still around, after all & they're planning on nesting here again!

The bird pictured above is one of our regular, Winter visitors--a goldfinch in non-breeding plumage.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful shot of the goldfinch! I miss having a place to feed the birds . . . you are so lucky! I hope you get many new visitors to your yard, Lana.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'd say maybe the Eagle could carry off some of the children that loiter in front of our house but that seems harsh.

Shauna Roberts said...

Five native birds I'd love to see at my feeder are:
•mountain bluebird
•cedar waxwing
•yellow-headed blackbird
•woodpecker (any species fine with me)
•verdin

Chrissy said...

Lovely photograph Lana, I am always especially appreciative now because the little ones are just so diffiult to get. We don't get too many birds on our feeders and I don't know why...where I lived before, the variety was amazing! Interesting to learn about geographic differeces :-)

Travis Erwin said...

The Eagle, the owl, and the turkey have all been spotted at my house, should probably say land now, but the others I don't know about.

Angie said...

You must have a wonderful time watching for visitors to your feeder. :)

I wish we could have one, but the area is overrun by pigeons and we really don't want to encourage them. :/ The city established some falcon pairs downtown, putting nesting boxes up high on some of the buildings, but that's mile or two away and in our neighborhood we just cuss at them. [sigh]

Angie

earthtoholly said...

Great photo, Lana. I think wildlife closeups are amazing.

The other day there was a nice fat bird (don't know what kind) sitting on a nice low limb and it didn't seem too skittish...perfect for a shot...aaargh! I didn't have my camera with me...kicked my own self all the way back to the car!

Lana Gramlich said...

Lisa; Thanks. To be honest, I'm pleased with whichever birds come (although I do get excited when I see "new" birds.)

Charles; Either them or the r@t b@$t@rd$. ;)

Shauna; Those are all good. In fact, I'll trade out the horned owl in my own list for a waxwing of either kind (cedar or bohemian.)

Chrissy; I'm sure we get lots of birds because we're in the middle of the woods. Location is everything. *L* I enjoy birdwatching in other areas, too. We may go to Costa Rica someday--I hear that's THE place to be for birdwatching.

Travis; I'd love to see turkeys out here. There are supposed to be some at the Flatwoods nearby, but the acreage is so vast we'll probably never see any there, either.

Angie; Birdwatching is one of my greatest joys. It's so peaceful & entertaining (particularly at fledging time, when all the chicks are around.) I hear you about the pigeons. They can be lovely to watch, too, though.

Holly; Thanks. I used to kick myself on a regular basis. Now I'm virtually NEVER w/o a camera!

Angie said...

I think if I lived someplace where there weren't any pigeons, and occasionally went to a park or something to see them, I might enjoy watching them. As it is, they're all over our building's roof, waking us up with their cooing and scrabbling around (cathedral ceilings, so they're scratching on the shingles about two inches above the ceiling plaster), blocking up the gutters and downspouts, and even getting into our dryer vents to build their nests (and then getting cooked next time we do laundry). If I could press a button and kill every pigeon in a two-mile radius, I'd probably do it and my neighbors would applaud. [sigh]

Angie

Lana Gramlich said...

Angie; I hear you. I feel that way about gray squirrels (what I refer to as "rat bastards.")

Angie said...

"rat bastards"

LOL! Exactly! Except ours fly. :P

Angie

YogaforCynics said...

Wild turkeys are actually one of the only birds I can positively identify...because I recognize them from the bottle....

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Fantastic photo Lana! The only thing I see here right now is chickadee and wild turkey.... and a d few 'rat bastards' - LOL!

Lana Gramlich said...

Angie; Flying rat bastards? Dang! *sympie hugs*

DrJay; *LOL* See? There IS value in edjumacation! ;)

Michelle; I envy you the turkeys & sympathize about our inevitable rulers. It's just a matter of time before the rat bastards usurp humanity, I swear it--be warned! *L*

Related Posts with Thumbnails