My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, March 27, 2009

Flooding Again

I noticed crews cleaning out culverts & ditches along some of the roads in our area recently and, considering our experience with Hurricane Gustav last year, I was thinking that was a good thing. I was thinking that now that things were cleaned up, perhaps if another tropical storm or category 1 hurricane hit us, perhaps we could stay without our whole neighborhood flooding again.

My thinking was wayyyyyyyy wrong.

We've had very bad, heavy & strong thunderstorms for days now, with tornadoes touching down in various areas. This morning the main road out of the neighborhood was flooded badly enough that I couldn't go to work. Our backyard was flooded, too (see photo,) forcing us to feed the birds on our deck. We've seen the yard flooded many times before, so I figured it was still no big deal. By noon it seemed that the water in the yard was going down, although it rained again after that. At 2pm I figured I'd go for a drive & see if anything had improved. Unfortunately, things had gotten worse. By the time Charles got home (around 4pm,) much of the neighborhood is completely unnavigable. I looked in the backyard again, & the water there has definitely risen again.
In comparison to our Gustav videos from last year, the water's currently equivalent to the levels seen in Parts V, VI & VII. The fire department's been cruising the neighborhood. I'm not sure why, but at least we haven't been forgotten about out here in the boonies.
The worst part is that we're expecting more very bad, heavy & strong thunderstorms this afternoon, tonight & possibly some tomorrow. The only benefit this time around is that we still have power & even if it does go out, at least temperatures aren't unbearable.
So much for my thoughts of staying put through any future storms. If only I didn't have to keep learning these kinds of lessons the hard way!

(Ironically, our little neighborhood was just on the New Orleans news this evening. The video is in the upper right hand side of this article about it.)

(Update, the next morning; Regardless of even more rain that fell overnight, the waters are receding. The backyard still looks like the photo above, but the sun's out now & maybe they got the pumps in town--which had been disabled by a lightning strike--working again.)

24 comments:

Travis said...

Hopefully you guys won't have any major hurricanes go through this season.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Yikes!
I heard about the tornadoes on the news. I don't think that is common around there, is it?
Hopefully the water begins to recede.. I'll be thinking about you guys!

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck! Hope all turns out ok for y'all. It's a weird time, with snow in the mid section, flooding in North Dakota, and unpredictable high waters in pockets everywhere . . .

oldmanlincoln said...

The world is a-changing. I think it is. We had frost in the morning, and later that day; our daughter showed up without any warning.

She brought home some pizza and I ate way too much. You see I was on a diet and doing really good. Then after the pizza I started to cuss 'cause she also got some Dairy Queen ice cream in a cup, slathered with butterscotch; and I continued to fuss.

I don't know why you can't comment on one of the blogs. I think you had the same problem a month ago and to get you on board I went back and changed from "embeded" commenting to "full-page" commenting. Send me an Email (use my profile to get it) and let me know which blog you couldn't comment on. If you would please.

Abe Lincoln

Dave Coulter said...

Oh brother. Good luck down there. We seem to have gotten more floods recently here as well. According to an EPA guy at a conference I was at last winter these events are going to be more common here in the Midwest. :(

Angie said...

Yikes! I hope it doesn't go too far, and your house is all right. Hang in there, both of you. {{}}

Angie

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis; Yes, hopefully. At least, if we do, we know that evacuation's our best bet. *L*

Michelle; The water's going down & we're okay. Tornadoes aren't really uncommon down here (which was a surprise to me, when I moved.)

Erik & Dave; Besides all of the weird weather everywhere, Southern Louisiana's been sinking into the Gulf of Mexico for decades now. Fortunately we're far from the "front lines" so to speak, but it turns out that our neighborhood's the lowest point in our town, situated a mere stone's throw from 2 creeks. Not that that was disclosed to us when we bought the place, but then again, it's so lovely here I'm not sure that would've mattered.

Abe; Aw heck...enjoy pizza & butterscotch sundaes without fussing at yourself (or your daughter.) Life's about happiness, after all!
It was the new address you'd posted that I couldn't comment on...but I'll pop you off an e-mail later today.

Angie; Thanks, hon. :) Yeah, we're okay. The waters are receding. The house was never in any danger (it's 4' off the ground. Even during Gustav's considerably worse flooding, the house was never in danger.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I should have just posted a link to your blog sweetness. I'm gonna add a link so folks can see the pics.

Sidney said...

We've had a lot of rain here but nothing that has accumulated.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; Okily dokily. ;) *L*

Sidney; Our neighborhood is "accumulation central" for the entire town, it seems. <:\

Anndi said...

Stay dry.

Being a volunteer firefighter's lady, I'm pretty sure they're out checking on power lines, downed trees (the ones whose roots can't survive that much water and erosion) and people stuck in drowned cars.

Heff said...

Jeez. And I thought 'Bama got drenched !!!

Lana Gramlich said...

Anndi; Actually I think they were here in case of emergency, since there were never any downed trees, drowned cars or power line problems. If someone had a medical emergency, though, they would NEVER have gotten out of here w/o the FD's help.

Heff; I'm sure we both got it pretty good. At least I haven't had to water the new plant & tree we put in right before the storms hit!

Steve Malley said...

Is it wrong that it sounds like kind of a cool adventure? Glad y'all are all right!! :D

Shauna Roberts said...

Glad you and your house stayed dry, but it's worrisome that the rainy season is starting so early this year in the NOLA area.

laughingwolf said...

glad you two are safe, lana... time to 'head for the hills'?

Lana Gramlich said...

Steve; Nah, it's not wrong. It inadvertantly gave me an extra day off of work, after all.

Shauna; Well, it seems that a major front system moved across most of the US this past week, so at least we weren't alone.

laughingwolf; Compared to New Orleans, this IS "the hills." Considering I only bought the house 2 3/4 years ago & we have some years before retirement, I guess we'll be staying put for the time being. ;)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I certainly can sympathize. I live in a flood plain. I've already helped my neighbor pump out his backyard three times.

jennifer said...

I hope with all of my heart that Louisianna is Hurricane free for a while.

The storms were intense here Saturday morning. Lightening was popping continuously. I was thankful for the Tylenol PM that I had taken the night before that helped me to go back to sleep after the thunder woke me up.

Hope you have a great week!

Doson said...

:( I've not experienced such things yet. I wonder how it'll be.. Any way hope things gets better

Rob said...

I pass through your town every day both to and fro, Lana. I was worried I'd made a mistake when I saw all the water Thursday and Friday but it looks like it drains better now than it used to. Sorry to hear you were flooded in but it sounds like you made the best of it. That was some thunder, though, wasn't it?

cs harris said...

That must have been scary. Glad to hear you all came through it okay. We had rain and crazy lightning, but no flooding, thank god.

Lana Gramlich said...

JR; Around here we don't pump. We just wait. *L*

Jennifer; Thanks. Yes, I certainly hope hurricanes give us a pass for a while. If they don't, at least I know better than to stick around. *L*

Skippy; Ultimately, it could be worse. I just have to remind myself to keep an eye out for deadly-poisonous water moccasins!

Rob; Yes...those storms were really something! I'm glad crews had been cleaning out culvers--I know things would've been much worse if they hadn't.

Candice; Wasn't really scary so much as somewhat annoying, really. At least there was never any danger to the house. *whew*

Chrissy said...

Gosh, I missed all of this. I do hope there is a big improvement in the weather now and the water has gone down. It is amazing what a scary feeling it is, especially if you have to go out in it....

Related Posts with Thumbnails