My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, March 30, 2009

A Well-Deserved Nature Break (Updated)

After all of the recent storms, we ended up with rather perfect weather over the weekend, so we treated ourselves to a hike at Northlake Nature Center.

The walkway at the entrance.

There was quite a bit of activity at the swamp. We heard it, rather than saw it. This photo won week #5 of WGN's "My America" photo contest.

This egret was wayyyy off in the distance. Those long feathers trailing off its back are a part of its breeding plumage.

Our state wildflower, Louisiana irises, and our state tree, the bald cypress. I found it particularly fitting to have them both together in the bayou setting. (Update, Apr. 6, 2009; This photo was featured on the front page of the St. Tammany News.)

Eagle-eyed Charles pointed out this yellow iris on our way back to the car.

Afterwards we went to Macaroni Grill for dinner, negating any positive health effects of our hike. What can I say...life is good!

13 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

You sure were cute yesterday.

Anndi said...

Y'all are just an adorable couple. The cutest in the bloggosphere, I'd be willing to wager.

Doson said...

Lovely photo's. Charles choice is great :P

oldmanlincoln said...

We had snow flakes all day Sunday. Not nice like your photos are.

Ello said...

You guys are both too cute! And lovely photos as always! Love the one of the path!

Laurie Powers said...

I'm in love with your blog, Lana. Breathtaking photos. I'm a newbie photographer and writer in Calif. I found your blog through My Town Monday. Keep it up! I'll be following.

Laurie
www.lauriepowerswildwest.blogspot.com

Clare2e said...

These photos are gorgeous, Lana!

You mentioned on Terrie's MTM that you grew up on the Gold Coast on Long Island. I was just driving around Glen Cove, Oyster Bay and thereabouts for fun last Sunday, since we hadn't ever tooled through there before. Metaphorically, I'm sure I waved at your old stomping grounds, wherever they were along that jagged stretch of pretty water.

Dave Coulter said...

I liked the tree & flower pic best!

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; You sure are cute EVERY day. :)

Anndi & Ello; Aw, shucks. *blush* Thank you!

Skippy; You're too kind, as always. ;)

Abe; Eww, ew...Icky sn*w! My sympathies!

Laurie; Welcome to my blog & thanks for your kind comments. :)

Clare2e; If you were in Oyster Bay, you may well have gone right through my old neighborhood in Woodbury. I haven't been back since I moved farrrrrrrr away at age 18. Although I do miss aspects of Long Island, I certainly don't miss the people & excess of Woodbury.

Dave; Thanks. :) I like that one quite a bit, too.

Lynda Lehmann said...

Yes, life is good. Even when it is harsh, there's always something to be happy about.

You have such beautiful nature places around you! Thanks for sharing your joy.

Now, to find a good place to eat tonight....lol...

Lana Gramlich said...

Lynda; Thanks for enjoying my joy! *L* I was delighted, after we moved over here, to learn just how many wonderful nature areas there are in the area! We ended up even more blessed than I'd realized, & I try to take full advantage of it! :)

Travis said...

Mmmmmmm...Macaroni Grill. Love that!

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis; Isn't it evilly delicious? Never, EVER look up the calorie counts on any of their dishes. It ruins the fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails