My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Work vs. Sanity...Now with Alligators!

I've been absolutely swamped with art or art related projects lately...

1. I've been working very hard on a potential book cover (that I'm planning to have finished by tomorrow at the latest.)
2. Yesterday I dropped off 2 paintings for the Krewe of Erin's 25th Anniversary (Celtic themed) Art Show (which I have to pick up on Monday.)
3. I'm working to finish up designing the new webpage for the Bayou Lacombe Art Center.
4. March 14th I'll be vending at the 1st Annual LAW Spring Festival.
5. March 15th Abita Artists will be engaging in our various arts (& hopefully selling a few things,) out at the trailhead to raise interest in the local arts. I have a half-finished painting that's been lying dormant for a little while now, so this will be a good opportunity to work on it.
6. March 15th is also the deadline for Wildbird magazine's 21st Annual Photo Contest, so I have to decide ASAP whether or not I'm sending anything in for that (as of right now, I doubt it. Update; The Wildbird deadline's actually May 31st.)
7. March 31st is the deadline for Direct Art's Volume 16 Competition.
8. March 31st is also the deadline for Axelle Fine Arts "Art Now 2009" show (in New Orleans. Update; I learned March 23rd that this gallery has already gone out of business.)
9. I'm trying to get a hold of the Slidell Art League, to have a photo I'd submitted to a show (last month,) transferred over to their gift shop.
10. If I can find the time, I'd also like to write a letter to the editor of Inside Northside magazine, regarding their recent article, "Celebrating Local Art," which doesn't much, really.
(Update, Mar. 10, 2009; When I wrote this post, I'd forgotten all about a show with the Bayou Lacombe Art Center coming up on the 21st or so, so stick that between #6 & 7.)

So today Charles & I took a well-needed nature break (as usual, click for larger images)...

Although not formally part of our nature break, I wanted to share this better photo (taken in our backyard this morning,) of our local brown rat. Note how well fed she looks. Isn't her coat lovely?

We enjoyed a "Can I Eat That?" hike at Fontainebleau State Park today, where we were treated to extras, as usual...

The owlets were not in the nest. Fortunately someone else in the area spotted them in the next tree over, where I got this shot.

We were delighted when the guide pointed out this alligator from the boardwalk over the marsh. We were even more delighted when one of the kids on the walk pointed out a 2nd one. Both are in the next photo (along with a coot & a tern.) Do you see the 2nd gator?


Macro shot of some type of oxalis flowers (thanks to Tom for the ID!)

In other news, a bluebird fledgling alit on my car twice this past week, a red shouldered hawk was in the backyard yesterday & one of the hairy woodpeckers I spotted last weekend has been back since then (perhaps we'll be hosting hairy woodpecker chicks this Summer.)

Now I must get back to work...

24 comments:

Tom said...

Hey Lana- Wow, you are busy. I must say that seeing what you do inspires me to actually get some of my photos printed and try to get them exhibited somewhere. Any tips?

I think that last flower picture might be an Oxalis species. Not sure which ones you've got down there in the deep south.

Tom

Charles Gramlich said...

That second gator came out pretty well. I'm surprised. Well, hey, in AUGUST we'll see the babies. I know, I know, I'm laughing too.

Travis said...

Love the varied wildlife. I'm anxious to see the bunnies and quail return to the back area behind our condo.

laughingwolf said...

i'm surprised the rat's not a meal for the owls as yet...

lana, how do you keep up with all that art stuff?

double eye surgery has left my vision blurry, time to time....

Pat and Abe said...

Thanks for stopping at my place, Lana. Also I enjoyed this variety of pics on your post. You do a lot.

Sidney said...

Wow, you are busy. Nice pics.

Chrissy said...

Wow, you do sound busy. But, in some ways that has to be a good thing....
At least you get to do thinks that you love, my full time job seriously cuts into my art time..
Fabulous photographs as always, not sure about rats in the garden though ;)

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Way to go - it sounds like you have some great stuff going! I love your owlets!

debra said...

We've seen signs of spring as well. Goldfinches are changing color, snowdrops are up. Moss is green. Welcome sights.

Travis Erwin said...

Okay so I am immature but hairy, wood, and pecker should not appear that close together.

Ello said...

Beautiful pictures as always Lana!

Doson said...

LOL you are so busy :(
Hoping that some photos will be up (atleast)
BTW that rat is a cutie

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Never thought I'd get off on the beauty of a rat, but she pretty.

Erik Donald France said...

Wow, it sounds like an early Spring Offensive. Good luck and cool photos!

Scott said...

Lana,

Wow, your plate is full! Good luck on all your projects. Nice pics as usual!

Christina said...

Wow, you're pretty busy. I felt like I use to be, but you win this one. Those pictures are great by the way. Every time I visit your blog, I feel like I need to move out of the city.

Shauna Roberts said...

Is it my imagination, or are you getting more and more involved in the Northshore art community? Thanks for sharing these pictures. Beautiful, as always. I thought the rat was beautiful too; I've never seen a rat that fat before.

Bill Austin said...

Your site has won a Blog of the Day Award (BOTDA)


Your award will go live sometime on March 10, 2009


Award Code

Thank you,


Bill Austin

photonz said...

My you are a busy girl! March Madness right? I know how you feel. You are engaged in your art, that's a good thing.

Miladysa said...

Exciting times - Good luck with everything!

A book cover! Wow! I hope we get to see it as well as the web site design.

Make sure to enter the photography competition - your photographs are always fantastic and you certainly have a great chance of winning something :D

Lynda Lehmann said...

You certainly are busy! I stopped entering juried shows because of the expense, but may go back to them at some point.

I'm glad you took some time off, and now we get to see more of that park.

The brown rat's coat is so pretty, at first I thought it was a squirrel!

Do you have to pay for a guide in the park, or are they always around to answer questions and such?

Lana Gramlich said...

Tom; Thanks for the hint on the oxalis--I appreciate the help. :) As for tips on submitting photos, I really couldn't tell you anything beyond the obvious (look for contests, magazines, etc. related to your genre--i.e.; being largely a nature photographer, I don't submit things to "Architecture Digest" or "Popular Mechanics," y'know? Personally I'm on the verge of quitting everything due to the combination of too much money spent + virtually continuous failure. I know that's not very inspirational, but at least it's realistic.

Charles; Yes...in AUGUST. *ROFL!* Yeah buddy...see you in AUGUST! ;)

Travis; We had some rabbits around last Spring, too. I hope they're back again this year!

Laughingwolf; Sorry about the vision problems. Hang in there! The rat & the owls are at least 20 miles apart, so no troubles there (although a local hawk may get her one of these days.) How do I keep up with the art? With a lot of stress & very little enjoyment/reward, unfortunately.

Pat & Abe; Anytime & thank you, too! I'm on the verge of going back to doing very little, actually. It was much more fun.

Sidney; Thanks & yes, far too much.

Chrissy; So long as the rat's out back I can rest assured that it's not in my house, at least. *L* Unfortunately the art hasn't really been something I "love" for a long time now. Gotta rethink things, stat.

Michelle (artscapes,) Ello & Scott; Thanks!

Debra; Glad to hear it. :)

Travis E.; Guess I shouldn't mention the red cockaded woodpeckers, then. *L* ;)

Skippy; Thanks. Most people don't tend to like rats, but we consider her just another one of "the kids" out here. :)

Ivan; Pretty enough to be a pet, but I think we'll just leave her outside. *L*

Erik; Thanks. I appreciate your support.

Christina; Thank you! Some people are more city than I, of course. Perhaps you don't need to move out of the city so much as you could stand to take a day out in a park somewhere.

Shauna; I've been pretty heavily involved w/the Northshore art community for about a year & a half now, actually. I decided today to start backing away from at least some of it.

Bill; Yeah, okay.

Paul; Gads, I can't imagine handling YOUR schedule! Compared to you I feel like a slouch! *L*

Miladysa; I've pretty much decided not to enter the photography contest. I honestly don't have much of a chance of doing much more than incurring costs I'm never going to get back. I appreciate the vote of confidence, however.

Lynda; Yeah, spending too much. I'm backing away from all of that now, too. At the park, we were on a guided "can I eat that?" hike, so we had the ranger for the duration of the hike. They run other hikes at that park on the weekends, too (but they're always very busy & full of loud kids, so we prefer to just "go it alone" most of the time.)

earthtoholly said...

Holy cow! I do hope you've recovered from all the going-ons! You've been a busy bee...now that brown rat there...just a rat, right? Although she is cuter than the (sewer) rats around here, so I'm guessing she's a nicer rat...

An especially excellent pic of the oxalis...so sharp!

Lana Gramlich said...

Holly; Actually I'm still smack dab in the middle of all of the goings ons. *L* I think our brown rat is the same as your sewer rats, more or less...She just prefers the country to the city. Regardless, she's one of our "kids" now. *L* Glad you like the oxalis. It's such a pretty plant!

Related Posts with Thumbnails