My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Roosevelt State Park, Day 3 (Updated)

Day 3 at Roosevelt State Park was as offensively hot as the days preceding it, so once again our outings were greatly limited. We woke around 5:30 AM, again, so Charles could throw a few more casts.

There were a lot of Canada geese around, but only this pair had chicks.
Before things got too hot, we finally made our way up the viewing tower, where this turkey vulture was soaring above the Bienville Nat'l Forest.
After another nap, I sat out on our back porch while Charles did more fishing. A great blue heron landed in our "backyard." I didn't budge until he'd moved away, not wanting to scare him off. Eventually I got a picture of him across the way.
Heading back inside, I got this photo of a bumblebee on spiderwort.
Having seen a sign for a local reservoir in our travels (& with few fish biting,) we decided to go look for it, but our long drive was fruitless. Investigating later, I saw that we'd been very close to where we finally turned around. During the ride, we stopped at another little pond off the road, where I saw Queen Anne's lace for the first time since leaving Canada. I saw this blue mud dauber (aka; steel-blue cricket hunter,) on one of the flowerheads.
Back behind our cabin, another lovely end to the day.
Although we'd booked more time, due to the oppressive heat that prevented us from leaving the cabin much during the day & the fact that the fish weren't biting much, we decided on waking the next day to pack it in & come home.

27 comments:

debra said...

Beautiful photos, Lana. I live the reflective nature of the reflections :-) My spiderworts are just up---no blooms yet here in NE Ohio.

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, might as well read at home as at the cabin.

letspaintnature said...

What amazing pics! I love the blue insect guy and the sunset!!!! I see a painting in the future for you!

Tabib said...

That fisherman refection is very artistically done.
Other pics in this series are beautiful too, especially that macro steel-blue one.

Chris Eldin said...

Again, amazing pics!!!

The blue mud dauber!!! We have these things in our yard, and I've been searching for what they are. Thanks for the info! Beautiful in a picture, but not buzzing around the house...
:-)

Doson said...

lol Your Charles is like [i don't know] in that photo :P & looks like your sunset is always wonderful :)

Erik Donald France said...

Beautiful shots, cool shots, intersting shots. Wowza!

Larry said...

A nice mix of photos-vlowers, scenery, birds, insects etc..Looks lie a great park to hang out.

JR's Thumbprints said...

My wife just got an SLR camera with a zoom lens. I'm hoping to take some cool pics like yours. She knows more about the camera than I do. Sounds like your enjoying nature.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey lovely Lana,

Beautiful pictures -- I especially like the dark, moody ones and the reflection in the water. Very cool!

Steve Malley said...

Y'all ever come down this way, I'll put you onto some fine fishing and photographing! :)

Not as many neat bugs, though!

Rob said...

Lovely photos, Lana. Love the sunset. That is some still water. Believe the chicks are called goslings. The blue ginger here, our favorite flowers since they were planted, are also spiderworts of some kind but they're a few weeks away from blooming.

roentarre said...

Beautiful nature images you have captured in deed! Excellent!

Dave Coulter said...

Those mud-daubers always give me the willies! Hope the fishing was good. :)

Chrissy said...

Lovely images Lana, was it really that hot? I know I struggled sometimes in the Maldives and made a concerted effort to go out in the day to take some photo's when I had finally acclimatised. The deer make a lovely image, they have some serious tags in their ears don't they? I think the grey herons become quite used to people in these circumstances....but I wouldn't move either :D

Bird said...

Wow, I love the steel blue cricket hunter! And the spiderwort is such a gorgeous colour. I'm lousy in hot weather - don't think I could have handled it myself if it was that bad!

bernie kasper said...

Beautiful images Lana, I really like the reflective fisherman, neat shot !!

Cloudia said...

Dreamlike, Lana! Wonderful photos.
Ps:
I agree: More chicken breasts for the childless! (us and...you-all?)
Aloha

earthtoholly said...

Hi Lana and wow...

What gorgeous photos. I love the mud dauber on the lace. I took some pics of our spiderworts but couldn't get a decent one! Don't know what goes with that... And that reflection of Charles is very cool. Were mosquitos bothering you? I detest humidity and mosquitos and we have both...argh!

And I heard that you are giving up your painting? Oh no. But your paintings are so beautiful. I remember you said that it was expensive to keep up and sell, but still...you're so talented!

photonz said...

Obviously an artist's "eye" at work here. Of course it's not your eye but your creative mind. I especially like the fisherman (Charles) and the geese images.

Marvin said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation photos. I'm really partial to the one of Charles fishing, though the mud dauber is a fantastic macro.

Sorry the weather turned out so hot y'all couldn't fully enjoy the trip.

Anonymous said...

Well, Italy it wasn't...must have made you think of Master Dante for a few days... but at least you stayed creative.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

...Why did I do a slight flub on ID as I wrote the above? :)

Ivan

Christina said...

I really hope you host these pictures at events. Lovely!

laughingwolf said...

sorry for the crummy holiday... pics are great as always :)

Natural said...

love your backyard pic.

thanks for stopping by earlier.

Avery DeBow said...

That mud dauber is strikingly beautiful. I'm usually staring at them with too much paranoia to appreciate their grace of form.

Related Posts with Thumbnails