My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Mind-Body Connection

I've spent some time talking things over with loved ones & thinking about what's been affecting me for a while now. There are a few things at work, some worse than others, but the biggest, baddest problem in the basket (which ties a bunch of the other things together,) is my left shoulder.
My regular readers are aware of pain I've had for about 3 years now. I've posted before about how my "doctor" (& I use that term very loosely,) had diagnosed me with bursitis (without any examination or investigation,) & said he wouldn't do anything until the pain became unbearable. I was already at that point, of course. I don't run to doctors for every, little thing. I only see them when I really need to.
Unfortunately my "doctor" didn't see patients, he saw dollar signs. The faster he got people in & out, the more the register went cha-CHING! Even the receptionist who set up my first appointment inadvertantly tipped me off, assuring me (or perhaps she trying to convince me,) that I'd like him; "He really listens & cares." If that were true, why did she feel some need to bring it up? Wouldn't I realize it through the level of care I received? I should have run when she waved the red flag in my face. I won't make that mistake again.
In untreated, fairly constant pain, I had to make huge adjustments to my life. I could no longer lie comfortably when I slept, resulting in only 2 full nights of sleep in 3 years (making me irritable & increasing my stress, to say the least.) I was forced to give up drumming (which had been a great way to relieve stress.) Although I'm a "lefty," I had to stop using that arm (for the most part,) & learn how to live as a "righty." There's only so much you can do with only one arm, unfortunately. The pain caused problems with getting dressed, brushing my hair/teeth, showering, physical tasks at work & even steering my car. I've lost a lot of strength in that arm due to non-use & in having to readjust movements around it, I started putting too much strain on my elbow & my right shoulder & arm. Even painting often caused me physical pain. Exercise has certainly not been possible & my body, overall, has started to suffer too much for that.
So I finally made an appointment to see yet another doctor. Ever the cynic (& not having much luck with doctors so far,) I must admit that I wasn't terribly hopeful about the process. I'm pleased to report that I seem to have finally found a good doctor. She listened, asked questions & suggested that it might not be bursitis after all, but rather a labral tear. She's written prescriptions to help with the pain & inflammation & she's set up tests required to determine the cause of the problem. If it turns out to be bursitis, after all, she's prepared to treat that, as well. Perhaps the most reassuring was her simple statement when I was getting ready to leave; "Don't worry, girl. We'll take care of this!" This time I honestly believe it.
Even hope, alone, can make a person feel a whole lot better.

31 comments:

Laurie Powers said...

That sounds very encouraging, Lana. I know how pain can affect our whole way of thinking. I'm so glad you found someone who sounds legit. It's amazing how many aren't.

Chrissy said...

Sounds positive and you are right. Hope is a good thing. Actually a Doctor listening and trying to establish what is wrong is good .....I will keep my fingers crossed that she manages to sort this. It sounds like a step in the right direction .... Hugs

Shauna Roberts said...

My lupus makes me very prone to bursitis and tendonitis. I had a bout of bursitis for ten years in my left shoulder that was like what you're enduring, so I know what you're going through. I can't believe you painted through all that pain! You're braver than I was.

I hope, since you have no underlying disease process to undermine healing, that this doctor can get rid of the bursitis for you very soon.

I found that after my bursitis went away, a couple of years of yoga classes restored most of my large loss in range of motion. So that's something to consider if your range of motion doesn't return on its own with normal use of your arm.

JafaBrit's Art said...

Glad you found a doc who will listen and inspires confidence that she will do the BEST she can in helping you heal or manage whatever it is that is bothering your shoulder.

Travis said...

Best of luck in getting this treated.

Cloudia said...

Lana: Sure hope you find relief. Medicine really is messed up. Good at some things, DANGEROUS in others. The trick is knowing the difference! Difficult for normal folks. I have found results with real accupuncture (not a physician who took a weekend course, but a real accupuncturist).
REIKI has been amazing, if puzzling. If it works, the mechanizm doesn;t seem so important. Warm Aloha, Lana

debra said...

I am glad you've found someone who will listen and attend to your needs. I had a frozen shoulder and understand just how incredibly painful a shoulder issue is. Limited range of motion, not being able to sleep, limited ability to do everyday activities, constant pain. It's pretty intense.
Good luck and be sure to take care of yourself.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm glad the new doctor is on the case. Sounds like she's a bulldog and will get to the bottom of it.

Marvin said...

Hoping you can finally get your ailment properly diagnosed and successfully treated.

Rob said...

Good Luck, Lana. She sounds like someone who cares. I'm very pleased with my orthopedic surgeon. He has treated my knee and my elbow with equal success. Pain makes you compensate and compensation brings a whole other set of problems. I waited entirely too long to see anyone because I just don't like the whole process. Don't let it defeat you.

bernie kasper said...

Doctors are no different than mechanics some kind find and fix the problem and some can't, hopefully this one can fix your problem Lana..

Hope it works out !!

Dave Coulter said...

Sounds promising....good luck with all of that. Feeling bad is no fun!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

I have foung on the whole, that Southern doctors were pretty good, certainly in Florida. But I had Blue Cross traveller's insurance.
I had also had bursitis. There was this simple shot, I think it was Benydryl, but I'm probably wrong.... Gone in an hour.
I used to be in showbusiness. I dare not tell yout to break a leg!

Shauna Roberts said...

The shot given for bursitis is usual cortisone or a related steroid drug. The results can be miraculous, but doctors are stingy about giving them because a joint can only tolerate a certain number of them.

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

I hope you're on the road back and that she's got it under control. Good luck.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I can understand your skepticism when it comes to doctors. Whenever my wife schedules me for a doctor's appointment there's discussions of surgery this and surgery that. It sounds like you've found a doctor who'll diagnose the problem and treat it. Hope it works out for you.

Doson said...

Take Care Skippy

Scott said...

Lana,

I'm so glad to hear you've found a good doctor! I hope she gets you healed up soon.

dotartdude said...

'Hope you feel better soon.

'Have been nursing carpal tunnel for a couple of weeks now myself.

Mo

Bird said...

What a horrible thing to live with all this time with no help. Best of luck that this time it will get diagnosed properly and treated - sounds like things are on the move now at least and having a decent doctor will make such a difference. And WTF is that about only treating bursitis when it's agony? Even if that were the correct diagnosis and even if he was nuts not to see that you were already in agony, I'm sure that just can't be right.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Lana,

Here's hoping that everything will turn out a whole lot better! I think you can't understand how much pain you've been in and for how long sometimes -- you just get used to it until it becomes unbearable. I agree with you on doctors and when one listens, I'm always a little stunned and happy. Here's hoping that this one is good -- she sounds like a encouraging competent person -- a great start!

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Nice Post..Unseen Rajasthan

G said...

Good luck with the new one. Let's hope its something simple like bursitis, and not a torn labrum or what I had several years ago, tendonitis, which was in the same shoulder.

Surgery cured the problem, so let's hope you don't need to take that kind of drastic step.

Natural said...

hope the new doc works out well for you. i hate being in pain.

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck, Lana, salud!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Lana - I am glad you found good medical attention. These things can colour our entire outlook. I hope you are pain free soon....

letspaintnature said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the bs you have been going through! I'm glad you found the right doc!
Chris

earthtoholly said...

Lana, so glad that you've found a doctor you feel you can trust, and she'll hopefully have you back on the mend soon. My gosh, what an awful condition to have to live with and for so long! And you just happened to have what sounds like a quack of a doctor...how annoying. Do hope you are feeling some relief soon and can get some normalcy back in your life!

Barbara Martin said...

Finding the correct doctor sometimes takes time. I wish you well and good health.

Lisa said...

I go to women doctors whenever possible, although like you, I hardly ever go unless I REALLY need one. It's been my experience that women doctors are more caring. I'm so glad that you're finally getting your shoulder properly cared for! I will gladly send some Reiki energy your way, anytime. Just say the word.
((((LANA)))

disa said...

成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片

Related Posts with Thumbnails