My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Salute the Canon

I'm saddened to report the death of my beloved Canon PowerShot A570IS. A little internet research revealed that a design flaw in the early PowerShots was never corrected. Canon was originally willing to fix cameras with this problem at no expense, but have quietly backed away from even acknowledging the design flaw some time ago. I still have my Canon EOS Rebel 50D, but I liked the flexibility of leaving the 300mm lens on that for distant shots, while keeping the PowerShot in my pocket for "normal" shooting. It was that configuration that allowed me to get such shots as that of my great white egret. Had I needed to change lenses when the opportunity presented itself, I would have missed it. Unfortunately, that's where I stand now.
The PowerShot was my first digital camera, a wedding present from a dear friend about a year & 10 months ago. Freed of the constraints of film & development, I immediately fell in love. In retrospect, the camera certainly wasn't perfect, but it did a good job during its run. Now there are better cameras available at half the price of an A570IS. Unfortunately my recent health concerns have completely depleted my bank account, so I won't be replacing the PowerShot any time soon. On the other hand, it's still too hot to go out yet, so perhaps the weather & my bank account will meet up at precisely the right moment. Meanwhile, I will tremble in the corner, like an addict desperately in need of a fix.

(BTW, this photo wasn't taken with either of my digitals but rather an 18 year old Asahi Pentax.)

14 comments:

Laurie Powers said...

i know what you mean about the Power shot. I don't have one - my only camera is my Canon Rebel. Of course, it's a fantastic camera, but it can be a pain to haul it around, especially with the zoom lens. On several occasions I have wished that I have a small pocketbook size camera to take those spur of the moment photos. Hang in there, girl.

Shauna Roberts said...

I'm really disappointed to hear this, both because the camera failed you after such a short time and because I have so much enjoyed the photos you've taken with it. We bought the similar PowerShot i590 on the basis of your happiness with the i570, and my husband got gorgeous shots with it on his business trips to Ireland, Australia, and Greece this summer.

Christina said...

How disappointing! I lost a favorite camera too, though it wasn't nearly as detailed as your camera was, but I liked the picture quality and how good of action shots it took.

Scott said...

Lana,

Sorry to hear your camera crapped out...hopefully you will have a new one soon!

dyana said...

Lana,

Truly sorry for your camera however god bless you with a new one ASAP...
May turn out as your Christmas Gift...

Cheers,

___________________
DyanaDevis
Instant loans at an attractive low rates

Chrissy said...

Sorry to hear it Lana. Perhaps keeps an eye on ebay, initally I started using a Dimage and loved it. It belonged to Andy and I bought one of the Bay for £35...it is still going strong. Invariableybecause Andy is interested in photography too. I have the 300mm lens and he has a shorter one..we end up swapping sometimes!

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Lana,

Love the picture! Hope that things get cooler and a new camera is in the near future. Being sick is so dreadfully expensive -- truly evil! The medicine alone is enough to send one into a tailspin.

Cloudia said...

I love your shots, Lana. You are a true artist; and while I enjoy being an enthusiatic amateur I appreciate what you are able to capture. I use a digital Samsung camera that was so inexpensive ($70) and even has some tricks that you might have noticed recently on my blog.
Hope you are feeling better!
Aloha-
Comfort Spiral

Steve Malley said...

I still use one of the earliest digital cameras made (copper and cast-iron, and the difference engine for compiling the daguerrotypes weighs over twenty pounds). I know the newer models are better and cheaper, but one does get attached...

Travis said...

Well, the death of one camera is certainly sad. But at least it means you can get another one.

Rick said...

I really feel badly about this. How much does a new one cost?

Lynda Lehmann said...

I know how you feel, having lost a couple of cameras, myself!

One got fried last summer--I think it was a tiny drop of water on my finger, from a stream I was shooting, that did it!

Larry said...

They say just when you feel like giving up-relief is just around the corner. Hang in there.

Home exchange said...

Aw that sucks. It's such a shame when dear old photo companions bite the dust. :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails