My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Around the Hermitage

Although I'm practically aching to get out & take pictures, it's been inordinately humid & very mosquito-ey lately. That didn't stop me from wandering around our yard, however...
The prolific goldenrod is starting to bloom.

I don't know what this is, but those green seed pods stick to EVERYTHING.

A little dragonfly.

A pearl crescent butterfly.

False foxglove & caterpillar.

Polk salat berries.

At first glance I thought this was just a dead leaf, but then it moved. It's actually a curve-lined owlet moth caterpillar.

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I love that leafy caterpillar. I would never have noticed it. How cool.

G said...

Great pics.

Sort of like summer's last hurrah.

pilgrimchick said...

I love walking around the yard with a camera. It forces you to realize just how many great shots and details there are in your immediate environment.

letspaintnature said...

Awesome crescent butterfly...such profound markings.

Erik Donald France said...

Very cool shots. So much going on, and dragon flies, mythical little guys'

debra said...

We have triangular shaped stick-tights, too! They do indeed stick to everyone. Once I sat in the grass, not knowing that there were copious numbers of these things. I was coated!

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Lana,
that last picture is too cool! I love it! Would have never noticed it on my own.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Here in Michigan it's starting to get colder, which means those pesky mosquitoes are diminishing. So, where are the mosquito pics?

Steve Malley said...

You're hell on wheels with that macro lens, so cool!

Now if I can just get Tony Joe White to quit singing Polk Salad Annie in my head...

Chrissy said...

Hi Lana, I really enjoy seeing your walks with the camera. It's like being transported to a different part of the world in an instant. We don't get those butterflies and that caterpillar is brilliant.

Lynda Lehmann said...

A nice collection from around your yard--great shots.

That last little weird buglet is such an amazing shape! What camoflage! A great capture....

Demon Hunter said...

You ake tha most amazing pictues, Lana. Amazing. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails