My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise at Northlake

Charles & I had some time to kill before dinner yesterday, so we went for a short walk at Northlake Nature Center. This was our first formal hike in months (due to Summer's heat,) & were it not for the oppressive humidity, it would have been fairly pleasant.

Pods & seeds of the Eastern Wahoo (or burning bush.)

American beautyberries.

Purple basil (someone had planted a little herb garden.)

What's this...a new sign?

The reason for the new sign; among all of the duckweed, this seemingly old, decaying log had eyes.

Unfortunately, despite the new sign, this alligator was hanging out right by the boardwalk & the water in the area was littered with human garbage. People suck.

"Please don't make them relocate or kill me, stupid people! Don't you have any appreciation for my magnificence and beauty?"


Gulf fritillary butterfly.

2 red headed woodpeckers.

As we were leaving, the way the light hit & reflected from the weed-covered water caught my eye.

20 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

The gator was extremely cool. That's about as close as I've ever been to one in the wild.

Demon Hunter said...

Beautiful pictures as always, Lana. I love that pic about not feeding the alligators. LOL. Classic! :-D

Laurie Powers said...

Fantastic pics, Lana! Whoa, I don't know what I would have done if I had seen that alligator. Yes, people do suck and animals bear the brunt of it.

David Cranmer said...

I have many pics from my Louisiana year of the gators walking across the road. Amazing creatures.

Rob said...

Love the gators and woodpeckers, Lana. Great pics.

Tom said...

Lana- Glad to hear the weather has cooled off a little bit down in your neck of the woods. That first pic looks like it could a Eunoymous- it sort of looks like Euonymous obovatus, but I'm not sure if you would have that species so far south, but perhaps it is a relative.

Tom

Cloudia said...

Wow, your photos blow me away, AND you know all the names!

That gator eye will stay with me, Lana. Thanks ;-]

Aloha

Comfort Spiral

JR's Thumbprints said...

Such beautiful pictures. I had to scroll back after reading "Two red headed woodpeckers." For some reason I didn't process the "red" part and thought I was about to observe some freak of nature.

letspaintnature said...

Awesome pictures! I love the first one, never saw that before...the alligator poster is hilarious!!!!

Erik Donald France said...

All I can say is: WOW.

Shauna Roberts said...

Great pictures, as always, Lana. Thanks for sharing them. Loved the alligator keeping its eye on you guys, waiting for you to fall in the water.

Did you crush a leaf on that "purple basil" and sniff it to identify it? I've grown and seen a lot of basils, and I've never seen a purple basil like that.

Donnetta Lee said...

Oh, this reminds me of Florida. There is a nature tour over by Punta Gorda. These pictures remind me of taking that tour. I really like the Burning Bush. Beautiful! D

Steve Malley said...

This little tour was just what I needed this morning... Thank you.
:)

Rick said...

You get more talented with every passing day, Lana!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Fantastic photographs!!

Natural said...

the woodpeckers are beautiful. a mixture of my favorite colors.

Kate S said...

Alligator - yikes!

The photos are just stunning as always - so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your work, Lana.

Barbara Martin said...

The alligator shots were great, Lana. I would be nervous about a gator being so close to the boardwalk, for fear of becoming lunch.

Lana Gramlich said...

Shauna; That's what the label said in the garden. Not knowing any better, I just went with it. ;) *L*

Larry said...

Love the gator and woodpecker photos.It would never occur to me that someone would try to feed alligators but I could see how that would lead to problems.I'd hate to have a giant alligator running up to me for a handout-there might be no hand left by the time he was done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails