My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Baton Rouge & the LBF

Today was Charles' presentation and signing at the Louisiana Book Festival, which is held on the grounds of the state capitol building in Baton Rouge. This was my first real visit to the area and the weather was perfect. Regardless, like a dolt, I got sunburned again.

Charles' presentation was located in one of the meeting rooms in the capitol building (tallest in the U.S.,) and scheduled for the first slots of the day.

The presentation went well. I admire Charles' ability to talk in front of a crowd (something I'm typically unable to do.)

Outside of the book signing tent; Mardi Gras beads in a magnolia tree. Does it get more Louisianan than that?

The reflections in this hallway (in the capitol,) were lovely. Still, I was surprised at how dimly lit the interior of the capitol building was--as though everything that transpires there is done in the comfort of the shadows.

The lobby of the capitol building.

Our state seal.

The state library, where the Author's party was held the previous evening. I have 2 words to say about that party; chocolate fountain.

I didn't expect to run into Dorothy and Toto from the Wizard of Oz.

I'm not a "churchy" person, but this shot of the spire of the Cathedral of St. Joseph in the sun had to be taken.

Reflections in a building on our way back to the car.

Next time out, I swear I'm bringing my sun hat!

19 comments:

Sidney said...

That's a great captured moment of Charles and good pics all around. Those are beautiful shots of the inside of the cpaital.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Happy belated 2nd wedding anniversary & belated birthday of Charles. I haven't been blogging as much, but I'm still trying to make my rounds to see how everyone's doing. Your art & photography blogs are very impressive.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great pics as always. I'll try to post a few different ones.

Travis said...

What a beautiful day.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Amazing photographs!! And Charles and the books look great! And now I am a fan on FB. Been slow to find this stuff.. :-)

Aine said...

Erm..., how did you manage to spend so much time outdoors when there was a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN inside???
:)

Natural said...

hey there lana, i agree, great capture of the building.

congrats to charles and that photo of dorothy and toto is just too cute.

happy anniversary as well. i'm a little behind. :)

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

Nice post. I like the looks of that tall building and the glass or steel in the windows of the last pic.

Jan said...

Looks like you had a great weekend; you certainly had the weather for it.

Jan
Always Growing

Erik Donald France said...

Fantastic -- and great photos! Really cool work . . . kudos . . .

Marvin said...

It looks as if the weather gods gave y'all a beautiful day. Great shot of Louisiana's high-rise capitol. Sorry about your sunburn.

A great shot of Charles. Public speaking is a great asset and one I do not have. (Kinda necessary for a teacher, though)

LOL about Jesus blessing the parking spaces. God is going to get you. :-)

letspaintnature said...

Good job Charles! Way to go! I hope it was really successful for him. And a happy belated b-day to both of you!!!
Chris

Laurie Powers said...

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN?! And you didn't call me?! :) Great photos, Lana! Sounds like it was a great trip. And by the way, thank you for your post on my blog the other day. I'm always happy to see you. xo

Shauna Roberts said...

I enjoyed your photos and am kicking myself that I never went to the festival when I lived in Louisiana. It sounds like lots of fun.

Cloudia said...

Lana: So enjoyed this trip to the big city!


Aloha,

Comfort Spiral

Barbara Martin said...

Appears the weather held out nicely for you, Lana. From the excellent photos it looks like you both had a great time.

Rick said...

What a wonderful trip you must have had judging by the beautiful photos! (in spite of your sunburn- ouch) And congrats to Charles.

Demon Hunter said...

Great pics all around. And I especially love the cathedral shot. :-D

Dave Coulter said...

Looks like a day well spent :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails