My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fontainebleau...Finally

We didn't end up camping at Fontainebleau State Park (the skies clouded over heavily in the late afternoon,) but we did go for a hike, at least. I've been looking forward to getting back here, as I love the proliferation of flora and fauna, but it was still pretty hot. Foolishly, I ended up getting a pretty good sunburn.

Some kind of skipper on some kind of flower.

Deceased monarch butterfly.

Gulf fritillary butterfly.

Buckeye butterfly.

Hawaiian beet webworm moth. Thanks to Ron M. at bugguide.net for the ID!

Chrysallises. There were dozens of them on one tree.

Spanish moss draped live oak tree.

Paper wasps' nest.

One of 3 or 4 tricolored (aka "Louisiana") herons at the marsh.

This was the first time I'd seen a tricolored heron (for certain.)

There were also mockingbirds, killdeer and dragonflies, but the tricolored herons & the plethora of various butterflies really stole today's show.

15 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I love your photo reminders of our hikes.

Travis said...

Wow. Great pictures.

bernie kasper said...

Beautiful images Lana, I especially love the Spanish moss, you live in such a wonderful place !!

Dave Coulter said...

I like the butterflies AND the Spanish Moss!

Lisa said...

What an amazing hike you must have had, Lana! The pictures are stunning. The second-to-last one of the heron is my fave. :-)

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Gorgeous hiking shots, Lana!!! Your photography has become first class. It's been fun watching you grow when you are also talented in many other areas.

Hugs, JJ

Billy said...

I like what you've done with the blog, Lana ... and beautiful pics from a beautiful park.

letspaintnature said...

Amazing butterflies! Awesome!

Erik Donald France said...

Beautiful . . . almost like a living deck of evolutionary cards for all to see . . . those butterflies/moths, for example, are amazing . . .

Rick said...

The spanish moss photo seems like it should be a book cover! Come to think of it, a lot of your paintings and photos should grace the covers of books.

Demon Hunter said...

I love all the pics, but I really like the live oak and moss. It looks like two trees are doing the tango. :-D

Christina said...

When you go camping, is it a tent or is it cabins? I haven't went tent camping in forever, but cabin camping wasn't so bad. I've never seen a skunk outside the zoo and the one we saw was so little, it could fit in your palm.

Larry said...

I like the fritillary and the Tri-colored Heron-never seen either.That tree reminds me of the movie Minight in The Garden of Good and evil or from legend of Sleepy Hollow or something.Very cool.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Herons? I call them pterodactyls.

Chrissy said...

Hi Lana, these are great photo's...I love to see them. I have never seen any of these butterflies. It is a real education looking at what there is around the world so I am glad you braved the heat but sorry you got sunburnt :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails