My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, January 9, 2010

ABC; Award, Birds & C-C-Cold

Laurie at Laurie's Wild West gave me this award the other day. I appreciate her kindness, consideration & support. There are lots of interesting things to look at & read about over on her blog--she's currently having a contest--so why not click over there for a gander?

In other news, the goldfinches are finally finding their way back to our yard. Here are a couple having lunch with some chipping sparrows. The lower goldfinch is unusually yellow, still losing his Summer/breeding plumage. Normally they all look like the goldfinch on the feeder's roof; that drab, olive color.

I also saw a couple of white-throated sparrows out back (I was wondering where they've been,) both of the tan-striped variety. According to Wikipedia, these birds will almost always breed with the opposite color morph (they each occur in roughly equal numbers.) Interesting, if true!

It's hard to believe it was 72F on New Year's Eve. Temps have been dropping fairly steadily since then. Recent, local temperatures are the coldest they've been since the '80s. Here in Abita Springs, temperatures droped 10 degrees in an hour the other day. Right now it's 33F, but the wind makes it feel like 20F. I've been maintaining denial by staying indoors, working on a painting of a forest in Springtime. The forecast implies that today's the end of our cold snap. By Wednesday we should be better be back up to 55F.

7 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

Wow--sure glad I didn't head down your way to escape the cold. Congrats on the award.

Oh, and the painting on my latest blog post is by Gerhard Richter, and is called Abstract Painting 780-1 (I always have put the names of artists and artworks down among the tags at the bottom).

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Lana, congrats on the award and the new images, very cool. The weather, though, very cold, yes -- hope it moderates soon everywhere that needs it . . .

debra said...

I'm glad the goldfinches have found their way to you. They've finally left my feeders, which is a good thing, considering it's 1 degree right now. Too cold to be up---so to bed with me!

Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, Lana! Well, it has been COLD in Oklahoma. Yesterday it was 8 degrees. Wow. We're just trying to stay warm! Take care. D

Rick said...

I didn't know you had more than one blog, Lana! Now I see you're even more prolific than I thought. You are such a talented person.

Cloudia said...

You show the simple beauty of your surroundings beautifully, Lana



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Chrissy said...

Lovely image....interesting to see differences too ~ our goldfinches are very brightly coloured. I didn't realise you were on FB, I will pop over and fan your page :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails