My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, January 18, 2010

Bird News

After a relatively quiet December, things are back to normal around our bird feeders. We have (roughly) 20 each of the chipping sparrows (seen at right,) & goldfinches. Although the cardinals had seemed to decrease in number for a while, their numbers are also back up (particularly at dusk.) Although we've typically spotted titmice, chickadees and white throated sparrows as individual birds over the years, it's becoming more normal to see 2 or 3 of them at a time.
On the unusual side of things, we had 3 crows yesterday. We don't typically see them in the yard before late February & they're only "regulars" when they bring fledglings in the Spring. They're the only birds that will stand up to (& scare off,) the squirrels, so they're always welcome. I also spotted a brown-headed nuthatch pecking at a dead pine near our shed the other day. They've nested out here before (& were "regulars" before Hurricane Gustav,) but they seem to have moved on, looking for another spot. We've also had red-headed woodpeckers from time to time. Like the crows, they're usually not here until they have chicks. I wonder if our recent cold snap might have killed off some of their regular food options.

10 comments:

Cloudia said...

I have
already saved one of your sparrow pics - you are great at sparrows...and everything else apparently! :-)


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Marvin said...

Take good care of our Chipping Sparrows and be sure to send them back up our direction for the summer.

Laurie said...

I love that sparrow photo. Just lovely.

bernie kasper said...

Love that shot Lana !!

Charles Gramlich said...

My bird girl!

Caroline said...

Nice, informative post. I continue to harbor hopes of being a real birder. It struck me in reading this that I would love to see a bird area through your eyes. You notice and interpret so extensively. Thanks for this post.

Also, the banner looks great.

Erik Donald France said...

All lovely and good. So the birds seem to be announcing spring already, at least in Louisiana?

Congrats also to Charles!

Lisa said...

I absolutely ADORE chipping sparrows! They are hard to photograph, since they are so quick. Love this shot, and I enjoyed reading about all of your birds, Lana. I am really looking forward to spring. :-)

Christina said...

Since you've given me the earlier advice on finding proper names for the many wonderful plants, animals and insects, I've been trying to do that with Florida. I'm still having a hard time though, so don't be surprised if I send you a few pictures hoping you'll know what these things are on the off chance you might have already looked them up.

Larry said...

I need a Chipping Sparrow for my January list. Too bad you couldn't ship a live one here through ups-just kidding of course. Nice photo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails