My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, January 22, 2010

A Lovely Day in Covington

Now that our temperatures have returned to normal (or even slightly above normal these days--today was 79F,) this past weekend Charles & I took the opportunity to enjoy a picnic at Bogue Falaya Wayside Park.

The grounds are grassy & clear of underbrush. Much of the "soil" is actually sand, which is unusual in marshy/swampy Southern Louisiana. For sand, the only area that rivals this one (that I've seen,) is Fontainebleau State Park.

The recent rising and falling of the river's level due to rains & freezing temperatures were recorded in the sand on the riverbank. This was the lowest I've ever seen this river (but it's rained since then.)

I liked the way the wavy tree reflections seemed to turn into wavy deposits in the river, itself (towards the bottom of the photo.) I'm often intrigued by water's transparency & reflectiveness at the same time. It's little wonder the Celts considered water a gateway to the Otherworld.

Our state tree, found all over the area; the baldcypress, shown here with many "knees" (the woody protuberances.) To date no one knows what the knees are for, but theories range from helping the tree "breathe" to stabilizing it in swampy areas.

Other trees at the park include sweet gum & the ever-invasive Chinese tallow. There's also a large wall of bamboo running along one side of the park.

Epiphytes & ferns thrive in our hot, humid climate. It's not unusual to see trees covered with their own gardens, a blatant, visual reminder of the concept of the "ecosystem." (Go back & click on my photo of the baldcypress if you need more proof.)

We saw some bluebirds, which seem to be permanent residents of the park. A red-headed woodpecker landed very close to our picnic, but beat a hasty retreat when it saw us. There were also some kind of heron or egret tracks in the sand by the river, which certainly does have fish (although I couldn't tell you what kinds.)

If you have kids, there's a large, jungle gym kind of structure on the grounds. If you don't have kids (like me,) there's enough space to get away from it & enjoy some peace & quiet. It's really quite a lovely spot for a picnic, regardless of the size or make up of one's "family."

11 comments:

Sidney said...

That pic of the sand is both lovely and eerie. Very nice shots.

Dave Coulter said...

79 degrees sounds really nice...

troutbirder said...

Very nice! Picnics and State Parks...two of my favorites things! Thanks for visiting my little nature blog too!

Natasha Fondren said...

Oh wow, how beautiful! I'll have to put that park on my list. Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

Charles Gramlich said...

It was a great day.

Larry said...

79!That sounds great right about now. The water and vegetation in your area looks so mysterious to me.

Erik Donald France said...

Those are really cool. Espeically dig that swirly riverbank shot.

Gotta love a name like Bogue Falaya!

Marvin said...

Beautiful photos, Lana. We visited Bogue Falaya Park the last time we were down in Covington. It is, indeed, very pretty. After a 14-hour trip down, our kids loved it, even if they did have to stay on their leashes.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Gorgeous photos and fantabulous post!!! WOOT that you had a picnic.

AWESOME!!!

Hugs, JJ

Cloudia said...

I SO love walking with you, LaNa



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Lana,

Beautiful pictures -- the place looks very inviting! And thanks for the "not having kids" shout-out. I think I should get some serious credit for knowing myself well enough not to contribute to the gene pool despite some serious pressure from society to do so. Children bore me for the most part and I'm not ashamed to say it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails