My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, January 1, 2010

New Sightings at Fontainebleau

Considering yesterday's sunny, 72F afternoon, we went to Fontainebleau State Park for a hike. We've had a lot of rain lately & as a result, getting out to the boardwalk over the marsh involved soaking our shoes & socks, but it was well worth it, as we saw quite a few birds that were unusual or even new (to me.) As always, click on images for larger views.

We've seen pileated woodpeckers before (even in our own yard,) but they're very shy & hard to photograph. This one didn't seem to mind us so far below, & raised its head enough for the sun to light up its crest just as I took the picture.

This hawk flew right over our heads before heading out to the distant tree line, where we watched it for quite a while. After some research at home later, I narrowed it down to a Northern harrier (my 1st sighting.)

Another 1st sighting for me; one of two pairs of blue-winged teals. Hanging out among dozens & dozens of American coots, it took us a little while to realize that these were different.

I've seen white pelicans before & know they're in the area, but this was my first sighting since moving to Louisiana over 6 years ago.

My 1st sighting of snowy egrets. Noticeably smaller than great egrets (one of which was nearby,) they can also be identified by their yellow feet.

A great horned owl hooted insistantly on our way back to the car. Although we've seen them here before, today they'd remain heard & not seen. We saw lots of the "usual" birds as well, but I'll save some photos for another post.
In home birding news, among some of the "usuals," I saw my first, definite goldfinch of the season & a large group of red-winged blackbirds out back today (thanks to Charles for pointing out the latter.)

16 comments:

debra said...

I was thinking about you this day; today was the first day I've had juncos at the feeders. And there were still a few goldfinches yesterday. I hope they're on their way to your feeders this New Year's Day.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

A beautiful shot of the Pileated Woodpecker. I wish.

I have found some nice photos from 2007 and 2008 that I would like to use in my blogs but last night was a bad night for me and I didn't get much rest. Most of the time I had one coughing fit after another. I thought I would try to just say, "thanks" to those who stopped today. I appreciate the comments, visits and prayers. I hope things will get back to normal soon.

YogaforCynics said...

Great pics...oh, but it must be wonderful to take such a lovely walk in 72 degree weather on New Year's Eve day...I actually tried to take a hike in a nearby park, on a reasonably warm day the day before, but the dog puked in the car on the way...but that's neither here nor there...

Jan said...

Looks like this was a lovely way to spend the first day of a new year.

Jan
Always Growing

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'd go bird watching myself if it weren't so damned cold out. Guess I'll have to view what I can see from my kitchen window.

Erik Donald France said...

Cool! It was nice going in San Antonio, though not as many birds. I did see a perfectly beautiful V formation of geese further north, presumably going south.

Sarah said...

great photos!

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey lovely,
Happy new year! So glad you're able to get out and about again. The post-surgery stir crazy feeling can make one feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. :) I LOVE these pictures! I'm afraid of owls, but it's cool that you saw one. Much love and good wishes to you and Charles for the upcoming new year (and thanks for the link to the bitches site! I do love it and have never thought of it as a bad word except in the context of being so and so's bitch)

Charles Gramlich said...

Was a great day for sure.

Rick said...

It's like minus three degrees here in Detroit, Lana. Boy do I envy your climate. Leave it to you and Charles to pick such a great place to live. And the photos make me think of summer days. Well. Actually. There are a lot more pieces of broken glass in Detroit than there are birds.

Chrissy said...

I love viewing your bird images Lana. Excellent capture on the woody, very spectacular. I would have been so pleased if I had captured that one...
72 degrees, I cannot imagine that right now and my skin badly needs some sun/humidity.

Cloudia said...

I love everything you post, Lana



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Dave Coulter said...

Nice shot of that woodpecker!
Happy New Year, too!

Crayons said...

Wow, I've never seen a pileated woodpecker. I looks like something out of Dr. Seuess. I like all of your water birds here. I'd love to see a pelican, for example. Thanks for sharing these.

Also, thanks for that funny story about Niagara Falls.

pilgrimchick said...

Great pictures of the birds--I particularly like the woodpecker.

72 degrees? I miss that. Horribly.

Middle Ditch said...

I haven't been for a while and enjoyed all the pics tremendously.

Glad your arm is healing

Related Posts with Thumbnails