My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, May 31, 2010

An American Tragedy, Pt. II

It's been a month since my last post about the oil spill in the Gulf, 51 days since this disaster began. As intimated in that post, we were lied to from the beginning. We did get news in gradually increasing doses of horror. You can bet your @$$ that BP knew the magnitude of this problem from day one (they and the company that would become Transocean have been through this exact, same thing before,) but they've been trying to minimize things since day one with great success.
At first the story was "no oil is leaking." Then it became, "okay, a little oil is leaking, but we can fix it." Then it was "um...a LOT of oil is leaking, but we're using toxic chemicals to disperse it (ineffectively,) while we still try to fix it." Now the only real option left--drilling relief wells--will take months. In the meantime, they're not even booming correctly.
In advance of Pres. Obama's arrival the other day, BP bussed in 400 extra workers to clean the beaches of Grand Isle. Once Obama was gone, so were they. BP calls this a "coincidence." I call it a dog and pony show.
Of course, our own government isn't innocent in all of this. In the recent past, the MMS was found to have been in bed with the oil industry they were charged to regulate. Even now, Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen--employee of the citizenry of the U.S., charged with protecting our waters and coastlines--is little more than a mouthpiece for BP. This is called "treason."
If I throw a candy wrapper on the sidewalk I'd be charged with littering, but BP can foul an entire ecosystem (and potentially thousands of miles of coastline,) with little or no punishment whatsoever. If this isn't the sign of a Corpocracy, I don't know what is. Not only haven't they faced any kind of sanction, but they've been granted 2 more offshore drilling permits (with regulatory exemptions,) by the Dept. of the Interior.

There are international tribunals that prosecute crimes against humanity and if anything, this disaster goes way beyond humanity. Scores of animials and plants are already dead or dying. I fully expect to see our state bird (and previous conservation success,) the brown pelican, back on the endangered species list. Ancient oyster beds have been "closed" and I'm sure the coral reef near the site of the spill is already dead. Huge amounts of methane (which is many times worse than carbon dioxide, where global warming is concerned,) have been released to the atmosphere, where the damage will last for decades (if not centuries,) at least.
Hurricane season here starts tomorrow and due to BP and the complacent MMS's blatant disregard for anything beyond their own self-interest, all I can do is hope the entire Gulf is spared this year. Unfortunately, at this point I have precious little hope.

REVOKE BP'S CORPORATE CHARTER NOW AND PROSECUTE THEM FOR THIS CRIME AGAINST (MUCH MORE THAN) HUMANITY.

CREATE A STRONG, GOVERNMENTAL REGULATORY AGENCY TO OVERSEE SUCH PROJECTS, MAKE IT CRIMINAL FOR THEM TO RECEIVE GIFTS FROM THE COMPANIES THEY OVERSEE AND CHARGE THOSE WHO DID WITH ACCESSORY TO THIS CRIME AGAINST (MUCH MORE THAN) HUMANITY.

STRIP "ADMIRAL" THAD ALLEN OF HIS RANK AND BENEFITS AND TRY HIM FOR TREASON.

DRILLING DISASTERS OF THIS MAGNITUDE HAVE HAPPENED TWICE NOW--ENSURE THAT IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!

27 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

It's disgusting. the golden rule. Gold makes the rules. Sigh!

Travis Cody said...

It's not over yet. Let's get the leak capped and the spill cleaned up. Lawsuits will come after.

erla said...

Excellent post on the oil spill, Lana! We the people need to let the government know that we know and demand to be made as whole as we can be now!

Lauren said...

Great post! I think even more than just worrying about people drilling the oil and the clean-up (which are both very important to worry about!) we should also all look at our own consumption via plastics, gasoline, et cetera. BP wouldn't drill if there were consumers queuing up to purchase.

Erik Donald France said...

I'm with you, Lana! And by serendipity, a Canadian librarian at a family lunch was discussing many of the same details today . . .

Commenters are also on the mark. Let's keep at it. This obviously ain't going away.

Chrissy said...

Lana, I read this yesterday but every time I read about it I feel so sad. What an absolute disaster........
Of course none of us lesser mortals ever get the real truth, we just end up living with the consequences.

Natasha Fondren said...

Although I agree with Lauren, what really gets me is the amount of energy invested to keep solar cars and the like from gaining a foothold. We've had the tech for ages, not to mention successful, working cars. I wish they'd get on it. We need to get away from oil completely.

Natasha Fondren said...

And about this disaster, it's horrible. Just horrible. Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable!

Abe Lincoln's Cousin said...

The Gulf is gone. Millions of animals are already dead. It is the price we are finally paying for automobiles.

JR's Thumbprints said...

My wife tells me--or should I say quotes the BP President--as saying, "I just want to get back to my life."

Is he that clueless?

Again, we have people in leadership roles being paid big bucks and they have absolutely no solutions to a crisis situation.

You're absolutely on the money with this post, Lana.

Lynda Lehmann said...

It makes me shiver to think about the magnitude of this. Your post so eloquently expresses our feelings. I can just imagine how it will impact all those in your area, and the future of perhaps the entire food chain. Let's face it: no one really knows how long the flow will go unchecked.

Thank you Lana, for your articulate and passionate post. Too bad the "powers that be" do not have your intelligence and common sense.

When will the people in this country see past the triviality of party politics and come up with a political will?

Lynda Lehmann said...

PS - this is so well said that I'm going to pick up your URL and tweet this post.

eric1313 said...

BP is a nightmare, even for oil companies, they have a MAJOR mishap ever year or so, they seem to do the poorest maintenance and have the lowest standards of safety for workers and the environment that they plunder.

And yes your passion is alive even as life on the shores dies in horrific black waves. Glad that you channel so easily. You do more with your words than 10 spokespeople I've seen. Very moving and filled with truth.

celticmusicfan said...

I've seen the news and it worried me the first time I saw it. Now it has become so huge a concern that it threatens to kill the species we love to treasure. I pray this tragedy would be over soon.

Esmerelda Crow said...

This disaster is so terrible, I have no words to describe my reaction: fury? sorrow? compassion for those whose livelihoods are at risk? most of all, heartbreak for the ecosystems and animals being destroyed? All of that is true, yet so inadequate. I have started riding my bike EVERYWHERE, it's the only thing I can think of and yet I see all the cars whizzing around me, and I don't know...what will it take for a real change of heart? Isn't this bad enough? But thank, Lana, for such a heartfelt and eloquent post.

Cloudia said...

You are not only a gifted visual artist, Lana, but clearly an important local voice. You speak for me and for many many others. Your moral authority as an affected resident and "protector of the culture, land, animals, and meaning of LA" is loud and clear. I admire and salute you!
Your excellent blog has been added to my blogroll (way late!) and I will forward this post.



Aloha from the same ocean
Comfort Spiral

Bernita said...

There aren't enough superlatives to describe how terrible this is. Already it is a disaster of unimanginable proportions.
And it does seem that the bureaucracy in Washington is fiddling.
I have this nightmare of an inferno, the entire Gulf in flames, burning, as well.

Lisa said...

This whole fiasco just makes me SO sick. It's beyond comprehension . . . I hope and pray that SOMETHING good comes out of this mess. Right now I am praying for the gulf, the coastline, and all the people and animals affected by this disaster.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey beautiful,

TOTAL agreement with everything you said! God, I don't know what to add except Amen Sister!

misty said...

What more is there to say, you have covered all my thoughts and opinions on this subject, I used to live in Santa Cruz Ca, they wanted to do offshore drilling there, I protested it bigtime!!! still have my protest badge and sporting it again!!! Unbelievable!! I feel for all of you back there..

timethief said...

@Lana
I'm am so grieved and so are many, many others. Were we not all aware of the dangers that come with the territory of off shore oil drilling? Can any educated person truly claim they thought is was safe? I say not.

This massive pollution will threaten the health of aquatic and intertidal and tidal areas far beyond the American shorelines. This is what greedy consumer demand in an oil based economy fed by corporate suppliers has led to.

I don't accept the fingerpointing at BP as being productive in the least. Neither does my husband and every time we hear this is an American disaster we want to throw things at the freaking TV. This is an international disaster in the making. And BP wouldn't have been drilling in the seabed in the first damn place if there was not an insatiable demand for more oil.

I am heartsick. We all are but please let's not make this sound as though it effects only a single country and the culprits are only a single corporation because doing so is an insult to the intelligence. Every contributing member to the oil based economy bears responsibility for this tragedy and the saddest thing of all is that there will be more disasters. {Weeping for all those directly affected and for Mother Earth}.

v said...

this is just so hard and difficult for me to talk about it makes me angry that the leak has continued this long and nothing has been done. meanwhile, life is being destroyed and people have died.

letspaintnature.com said...

I agree with you 100%. Too bad we are the unweatlthy pee-ons that nobody listens to. Where is Obama's "change"? Things look the same to me :(

Kelly said...

You have a lot of interesting, little known facts about the lies and deceptions propagated by BP and our government. I knew about BP bussing in those 400 extra workers for Obama's benefit (so he could see them and make him think something was actually being done) but what is most surprising is that BP has been granted 2 more offshore drilling permits. What bullshit!

Quite disgusting.

Everyone one should write to our congressmen about this debacle, in case it would help. Of course, I'm not hopeful about anything having to do with real aid or problem solving from our government. I'm very well aware they are and have been in bed with corporations such as these, I'm afraid.

Anyway, great, well written, informative post. Disgusting to read about the bad people continue to do in this world but it's better than hiding your head in the sand- which too many people are willing to do. I'd rather face the ugly truth. Take care, Lana.

The Wolf said...

I'm really glad I stopped by and read you're latest post. You have a lot of information I never heard about considering this disaster that could have been avoided. If the CEO's would stop cutting corners to increase their profits this probably wouldn't have happened at all, and that's the truly tragic part of this. You have a brainless exec on top who cares more about money then the saftey of those working for the company and the saftey of the enviroment, it makes me sick and angry that this continues to happen.

By the way I thought you did a fantastic job writing this post

Bird said...

There is one law for us Lana, and another for the big guys. And that is why, in a nutshell, I am no respector of "the law". Thank you so much for speaking so passionately. And I have to say I'm also with Timetheif on this - this tragedy knows no borders. It's the tragedy of the Nigeria and it's people, of Russia and Ukraine and it's people, it's the tradgedy of any land where the filthy oil industry has spewed up it's filth - but most of all it's the tradgedy of our entire world ecosystem. And they are all guilty, Texaco, Shell, BP, any big oil company you can name. Whole countries have been poisoned before now and we've never had the heart to look. The best thing that can be said about the latest atrocity is that we are all looking now. The monsters who run these companies need to be held to account and made to feel the enormity of what they have done, if not by our governments then by the people themselves - worldwide. Apologies for ranting.

Barbara Martin said...

Deplorable state of affairs. I agree completely with Lauren's comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails