My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Flatwoods & Fledglings

Last weekend Charles and I also went for a hike at the Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve. It was a gray day. The battery in my Canon EOS Rebel died early on. Fortunately I still had my PowerShot.

At the beginning of the boardwalk were a variety of flowers, including these yellow meadow beauties.

There were plenty of yellow (& parrot,) pitcher plants, as usual.

There was lots of white-topped sedge. There were also some immature orchard orioles in the area. We also heard a Northern bobwhite farther along the trail. I was glad to hear it, since they're in decline across their entire range & are on the verge of being added to the threatened species list.

On the first bridge over the Abita Creek, recent rains had left droplets clinging to spider webs. There was an Eastern swallowtail butterfly nearby, but not close enough for my PowerShot.



Despite the thick clouds, we saw a sundog.

Somewhere near the horizon was an opening in the clouds, allowing the setting sun to get up underneath them & paint them with beautiful colors.

In other news, yesterday I saw the first cardinal fledglings in our backyard. There were 6 of them in total (3 males & 3 females.)

Here's a proud, moulting father having lunch with his son.

14 comments:

Lynda Lehmann said...

It's a good thing you had your other camera along! I try to do that, too.

There's nothing worse than having your heart set on shooting, only to arrive at a scene to find you have a dead battery or no memory stick-- except the knowledge that it's your own darned fault for not planning ahead!

Lovely photos from another of your wonderful outings, Lana!

Cloudia said...

healing. thanks, Lana


Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

Magestic pictures. I really appreciate them all.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll be having lunch with my son tomorrow, though he's not fledgling.

Natasha Fondren said...

Oh! That white flower! I love that photo. It's so... sad.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey pretty,

LOVE the spider web! That is a beautiful shot. Your pictures never cease to impress me!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Very nice photographs.

Maalie said...

There was no sign of post-nuptial moult in the birds I caught for ringing (banding) last week. Any time now, though.

Bernita said...

I really like cardinals...and they are one of the few birds I can call.

Satish said...

hi those are beautiful pictures and very well taken, loved them all.

Larry said...

Like the painted sunset and water droplets best.Also got a kick out of looking at your freaksmack link.I feel wrong for amusing myself by looking at it but..

Lana Gramlich said...

Lynda; Thanks, hon. I expected the battery to die--I try to use them all up before I recharge. I really didn't miss much, anyway. ;)

JR; Thanks. :) I think all nature karma is good in that sense. It's not often that someone won't find something lovely to see, y'know?

Cloudia, Abe & Satish; Thank you kindly. :)

Anonymous; Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Charles; ...and you're not balding.

eric1313; Just doing what I can. ;)

Natasha; Yeah, it is. I think it was droopy from lack of water (it was the driest we've ever seen that area. In places, Abita Creek was completely non-existant.

Michelle; Thanks, hon. I loved the water in the web, too.

Maalie; 'Tis the season. :)

Bernita; *LOL* They ARE lovely. You'd really like it here. We refer to it as our "cardinal emporium."

Larry; Thanks, hon. Don't feel bad about the FreakSmack blog. If anything, it confirms that we're not bad people. *L*

Bird said...

Which is most colourful - the sunset or the cardinal? They are both beautiful at any rate. And that pitcher plant is fabulous.

Lana Gramlich said...

Bird; Thanks. There are hundreds of such pitcher plants (& other, carnivorous plants,) all around that area. It's pretty cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails