My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Birds & Charles' New E-Book

After some rains the other day it was cool enough to pop over to the Abita Creek Flatwoods preserve for a hike. While there, we heard 4 Northern bobwhites. These quail are nearly threatened, with habitat loss declining throughout their range, so it was nice to know we have some on these protected acres. During our hike, we inadvertantly flushed out a male & either 2 females or 2 young birds. In this video, you can hear one of them calling;



I also saw what remain a couple of "mystery birds."

Unfortunately this was the best shot I got of this one, which was fairly small (about 4" long,) & lost a couple of downy feathers tangling with some kind of flying insect.

This is a young...something. It was larger than the other, probably about cardinal-sized. Any help you can provide with an ID for either would be appreciated, as usual.

This short movie was taken from my deck after some rain the other day. It doesn't encompass the total bird chaos of the entire yard, but you'll get the point.



In other news, my wonderful & talented husband, Charles, posted "Killing Trail," an e-book of Western stories the other day. If you don't have a Kindle, there's an app for that.

12 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Lana, I've been wanting to tell you that you have done a marvelous cover for KILLING TRAIL. I have been buying quite a few e-books of late and the lack of care in many is disappointing. With TRAIL, you and Charles showed how to do it right.

Cloudia said...

Love your birds...and talented Hubby...



Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

Larry said...

I heard my first live Bobwhite last year. Love the clear whisting song.Any that we have in Connecticut now are considered to be raised birds, not wild. I have my doubts about that though.

Charles Gramlich said...

Love our birds, and your movies of them. Dave and Cloudia are right. Great cover.

celticmusicfan said...

Relaxing birds...I can imagine how sweet their songs are...

JR's Thumbprints said...

Sounds like some "hard rain a fallin'" in that last bird video. Lots of activity.

NatureFootstep said...

true, birds isn ´t easy to catch. I have lots and lots of photos like that tail.

bernie kasper said...

Glad to see you guys still going strong, hope you have been doing well, been very busy up here !!

Kelly said...

Very cool videos. You can clearly hear the Bobwhites in the first one. In your second one, the birds were definitely active. I wonder if the rain had anything to do with that. There was a time when I was an avid bird watcher many years ago. Now, I can only name a handful of birds. But I still enjoy hiking through the woods and experiencing everything nature has to offer.

Lana Gramlich said...

David; Aw shucks...Thank you kindly!

Cloudia; Thanks. :)

Larry; I used to raise bobwhites (& other game birds,) with my ex years ago. Some would escape on occasion. I hope that counts for something, anyway. ;)

Charles; I love "the kids," too. I'm glad you liked my little cover tweaks, baby.

celticmusicfan; I love waking to bird song when we camp in our backyard. Too hot for that now, but maybe again in Oct.

JR; The "hard rain" sound is actually just drops falling from the trees onto the tin roof of our deck. Believe me--if it was raining at the time, the sound would've been much more deafening. *L*

NatureFootstep; Sometimes it takes a while to get an ID, but I always hold out hope!

bernie; Yes, thanks. Things are fairly well here. I'm glad to see you again! Thanks for taking time to visit. I know how busy you are!

Kelly; The rain definitely has something to do with it. After a rain the feeders are virtually swarmed with birds. Normally they won't let me stand there & video them, either. I'm surprised at how tolerant they can be after a rain! I don't know that birding ever really leaves you, though. You may put it down for a while, but you can always pick it back up again. ;) Glad you enjoy nature, regardless. That's an important part of my sanity!

Wren said...

I love your backyard! Enjoy the birds, whether you can ID them or not.

Lana Gramlich said...

Wren; Oh, I typically have no problem ID-ing those in the yard. It's the one's when I'm out hiking (like in this post,) that won't stand still! *L*

Related Posts with Thumbnails