My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, August 9, 2010

More from Northlake & Other Stuff

As previously promised, here are some more shots from our morning hike at Northlake Nature Center the other day;

Pickerelweed in the bayou.

Charles pointed out the way the light was hitting this rain-darkened branch, which was kind of cool.

Looking down from a raised viewing platform.

Some lovely turkey tail fungus.

This bronze frog had no problem posing for the camera. We also caught a glimpse of a little blue heron (my first sighting,) which had no intention of posing for the camera.

Rain on saw palmetto.

Afterwards we went out for breakfast at the Broken Egg Cafe in Mandeville, LA. Outside a banana tree was blooming.

I've never seen banana flowers before. They're huge!

In other news, I'm pleased to announce that my recent book review of "Masters of Deception" garnered me an IBRC recognition award.

Astronomically speaking...
The Perseid meteor shower--best of the summer--is almost upon us; Aug. 11-13th. This year the moon is not going to be a problem (so lets hope for clear skies!) For an extra-special, related treat, click here.
Today's the New Moon and Venus and Saturn are in conjunction.
Wed., Aug. 11th, Mercury is in conjunction with the Moon.
Fri., Aug. 13th Venus, Mars and Saturn will all be in conjunction with the Moon.

17 comments:

kyungmee said...

sweet images!

troutbirder said...

I'd never seen that fungus amungus before. Cool. We have lot of wild turkeys here though. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I didn't know that was the name for those fungi. Perfect name. I liked that lil frog.

Chrissy said...

I do love that little frog...I have been looking for a frog here to take photo's of for an art piece but just don't see them, they quickly go in the water not to be seen. We don't have bronze one's. He is great :)

Lana Gramlich said...

kyungmee; Thank you. :)

troutbirder; We allegedly have wild turkeys here, too (although I have yet to spot or hear any.) The fungus grows EVERYWHERE around here, though. Living in a hot, humid climate, you get a lot of fungi!

Charles; Agreed on the name. Great spotting on that frog, btw (pardon the pun.) You deserve half of the credit for many of my shots. :)

Chrissy; Feel free to use my frog photo, if you'd like. I'd love to see what you come up with!

Marilyn said...

These photographs are absolutely beautiful....There’s something about getting out in nature with the challenge of capturing some of the amazing beauty around us.
Over the past year, I have found myself in the freezing cold, (I'm from Canada) braving snowfalls, and sliding over the ice in winter, then attacked by mosquitoes and black flies in summer, all in the hopes of capturing a glimpse of nature's beauty with my camera... If you would like to view my website please go to http://marilyns-photo-shoppe.partnersaroundtheworld.com...Thank you..

Erik Donald France said...

There's something particularly compelling about the shot from the raised viewing platform -- I can't articulate why, but am feeling it. They're all cool -- the bronze frog is quite a ham, eh?

Travis Cody said...

Great shots as always!

Lana Gramlich said...

Marilyn; Thanks for the kind comments. I'll pop over and see your site in a moment.

Erik; Glad you like it! Yes, the frog was quite the camera hog. *L*

Travis C.; Thank you. :)

Maalie said...

Wonderful forest images!

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey hey Lana,

That bronze frog, in the words of N. Dyanamite, is kissing sweet! I love that picture!

Lynda Lehmann said...

All the images are wonderful, Lana, and I like the partly lit branch the best. It seems so ethereal...

Congrats on your award!

Lana Gramlich said...

Maalie; Thank you. :)

Michelle; I was surprised at how little fear the frog seemed to have. He was on a walkway railing & didn't even hop when people passed right by him. Maybe he hadn't had his coffee yet. *L*

Lynda; Thank you. :) I like that one, too. It's simple, but the light & shadows are cool.

Britta Coleman said...

My favorite is the turkey tail fungi. Strange and beautiful.

Patty K Mooney said...

GREAT frog shot! Thanks for sharing the lovely hike in photos.

Larry said...

The sky has been cloudy the last 2 nights but I'm going to try to catch the tail end of the meteor shower tonight.All the photos are great but I really like 2 and 3. I didn't know that pickerels like to get-never mind -bad joke.-hello hello hello...

Lana Gramlich said...

Britta; Thanks. Yes, I love that, too!

Patty; Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for the comment. :)

Larry; Yeah, we've been clouded out so far, but we did catch a couple of Perseids the night before the shower "formally" started. As for the pickerel--I'm sure it's medicinal. ;) *L*

Related Posts with Thumbnails