My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Romp at the Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve

Charles and I went for another hike at the Flatwoods (it's so close to home--and so beautiful--who can resist?)

One of a few whirlygig beetles.

Horace's Duskywing.

Atlantic grasshopper.

A chrysallis under one of the boardwalk railings. From the look of it, I suspect gulf fritillary.

We sometimes see cottonmouths from this bridge over the Abita Creek. Nice to have that kind of access AND separation from them!

American beautyberries. So pretty!

A recent favorite of mine; a male blue dasher in obelisk posture.

The setting sun slanting through the trees. Due to the continuing heat in our area, we've typically been hiking around sunset.

Here ends the non-spider section of this post.

This female golden orb weaver had built a massive web all the way across the boardwalk. We crawled on hands and knees to get past it without disturbing it. Click on the picture for a larger and much better view!

In other news, after some correspondence with the local office of The Nature Conservancy (who manage the Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve,) I agreed to let them use some of my photos in presentations, publications, etc.

In yet, other news, I've been strict on the migraine diet for about 20 days now. I'd almost kill for a single piece of chocolate, but I feel so much better and am not wobbling all over the place. The extreme restrictions are hard, for sure, but they're also definitely worth it.

18 comments:

Paula said...

Just found your blog and your photography is awesome. The nature provides and your souls captures. Great.

Bird said...

That spider web is so impressive! Do you get huge numbers of spiders appearing at this time of year where you are? In the UK, early Autumn sees vast numbers of orb web spiders hanging in every available place. Impressive and beautiful - if you're not scared of them ;)

Marvin said...

Fantastic nature photos as usual. Love your shot of the Blue Dasher!

Travis Cody said...

What a great honor to have your photos used in nature presentations.

Charles Gramlich said...

We definitely get tons of spiders at the flatwoods. As we saw today, not as many orb weavers down by the lake.

Lana Gramlich said...

Paula; Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. :)

Bird; The golden orb weavers are definitely out in force in Sept.-Oct. I agree that they're impressive & beautiful (I'm a weirdo that way. *L*)

Marvin; Thanks. I was happy the dasher offered to pose so beautifully for me!

Travis C.; Yes. I was glad to donate my images for such a good cause!

Charles; Yes...that seemed strange. They're EVERYWHERE but at the lakefront. I wonder what's up with that?

Birdfreak said...

I love the chrysallis! That spiderweb is really impressive too.

Lana Gramlich said...

Birdfreak; Thanks. :) To see it in "real" life, the web was really amazing.

Lynda Lehmann said...

Lana! I didn't know you were suffering from migraines. I get them too, and they're crippling. Have you tried Excedrin Migraine? That works for me when the homeopathic stuff doesn't. (Allergies, stress, and barometric changes are my triggers.)

Thanks for the stunning tour. The berries are a gorgeous color! And speaking of dragonflies, we saw a bright crimson one on the lake last week--a first for me--though hubby says he has seen them before.

And what an AMAZING web! It was good of you to leave it alone.

When we lived in the foothills of the Poconoes when I was a child, we would get Copperheads slithering sometimes, right down the middle of the street, past us on our bicycles. It definitely pays to know your snakes!

Lana, I am hoping to do more art, that's all. I'll still be around and hope to stay in touch with you and your art and wonderful, shared natures treks!

Lana Gramlich said...

Lynda; I have diet-induced vestibular migraine without headache (but most migraine drugs only cause a rebound effect, so it's better to wean yourself off of them, if you can.)
Always glad to virtually bring you along on our hikes. :) Being nature people, we wouldn't have dreamed of destroying that beautiful web (even though we know it's inevitable. We certainly don't need to help the process, though!) Hang in there with the art, of course. I know it can be time/energy/attention hogging. Looking forward to what you come up with!

letspaintnature.com said...

Holy Crap! I wouldn't want to run into that spider!!!

Lana Gramlich said...

Christine; Tell me about it! I almost did that myself--face-first--when I first moved down here & didn't know about them. Charles grabbed my arm to stop me at the last minute!

TJ Lubrano said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love to see the subtle lines of the giant web in the sun!

I saw the WIP post as well! That was so cool to see and an amazing painting as well :D. Thanks for pointing it out!

Ciao!

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, TJ! I'm glad you enjoyed the post about my art process. Have a great weekend. :)

V said...

the sunset is awesome. always a joy to photograph and sometimes just view. the sun is just sooo beautiful and creates some of the most stunning colors and shadows. thanks for sharing.

Lana Gramlich said...

V; I agree about the sunset & to think, it's completely free! Glad you enjoyed. :)

eileeninmd said...

Lana, what a cool place to walk and I love your photos. I have seen the American beautyberries before but I did not know their name, thanks. The chrysallis is cool looking, you had some great sightings along with that huge spiders web.

Lana Gramlich said...

Eileen; You're welcome & thank YOU for enjoying. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails