My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Jaunt to Fontainebleau

It'd been over 4 months since we'd been there, so a little while back Charles and I got up for a dawn hike at Fontainebleau State Park in Mandeville, LA.

On our way into the park I was able to stop right along side this deer. I didn't dare get out of the car, however, so this was taken through my dusty windshield.

2 snowy egrets.

Family of common moorhens.

A hump in the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, the world's longest bridge (and the white dot of an egret in the distance.)

Mourning dove.

Mystery marsh flower (any help with an ID would be appreciated.)

Northern mockingbird.

Guttiation on a grape leaf. Thanks to Victor Engel for the info.

Red-headed woodpecker.

Mystery flowering plant in the marsh (IDs always welcome.)

Way off in the distance, a great blue heron.

A teensy, tiny American tree frog (our state amphibian.)

A juvenile moorhen (nowhere near the family group and much older than those chicks.)

Part of the boardwalk through the marsh.

Despite having arrived shortly after sunrise, it was far too hot and muggy to stay very long. Cooler weather is certainly on the way, however. Summer's humidity is dropping and our nightly lows are dipping into the 60s. I just learned about another new park that's opened in our area, so I look forward to getting out much more in the near future!

21 comments:

NatureFootstep Birds said...

what a great place. Looks a little as onf of the places on Ă–lan that I show on this weeks BFW. But with different kind of birds.

troutbirder said...

They say the early bird gets the worm and you got some really nice shots. I do love boardwalks thru marshes.

Charles Gramlich said...

It was a fun hike, even if it was pretty muggy/.

Cloudia said...

Awesome shots, Lana.


Loved the graphic punch of the last one,

loved the animals.


I posted doves today also!


Morning glory?





Warm Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

Phil said...

I like your selection of various animals there Lana, and that little shiny frog is just brill.

troutbirder said...

Back again. I just read you lost your sense of smell. And here I thought I was just about the only one with this strange malady. :)

Lana Gramlich said...

NatureFootstep; It's one of my favorite local parks. I miss it during the Summer, when it's just too hot to get out much.

troutbirder; Thanks. If you love boardwalks through marshes, you'd LOVE Louisiana. *L*

Charles; Doing anything with you is fun. :)

Cloudia; Thanks.

Phil; Thank you. I wish that little frog didn't have his back to me, but what are you going to do? He was lovely, nonetheless.

troutbirder; My mistake (I wasn't clear in what I'd written.) It's my husband who has never had a sense of smell.

eric1313 said...

Love the egrets... they remind me distantly of the blue herons that lived on Lake Cathrine while I was down in Hot Springs. I used to canoe 2 or 3 days a week by myslef and It was somewhat of a mission to get a good shot of the birds.... very hard to do, they would never let me get closer that 80 yards or so. Still, it was fun to try.

Lana Gramlich said...

eric; They're typically fairly skittish around here, too (the herons, egrets, etc.) The photo in this post was taken using my 300mm zoom lens.

v said...

flower looks like a morning glory to me as well.

the frog is so cute.

Steve Malley said...

Gorgeous. I kinda envy you: these days my 'connection with nature' is the occasional side salad, or bird-poop on the car bonnet...

Steve Malley said...

That's right, I said 'bonnet'. I've been here twelve years, after all! ;-p

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Great photos...
The heat has gone from here for some time. We are lucky to see 60 during the day...

Lana Gramlich said...

Michelle; 60! I can only dream of that...

Lana Gramlich said...

v; Maybe there's some kind of marsh morning glory...I'll have to look into it. I loved the frog. He was barely bigger than my thumbnail!

Steve; *LOL @ "bonnet."* You should find a way to get out more. It makes everything better.

Larry said...

I like the Red-headed Woodpecker photo-I don't know flowers but it sure looks a lot like the Morning Glory I had in my backyard

Lana Gramlich said...

Larry; Thanks! Unfortunately morning glories don't grow in our climate (or typically out of marsh water,) but I'm sure I'll find an answer someday. ;)

B said...

Whew, your photographs have helped lower my stress level. I find them beautiful and relaxing. I am grateful for your peaceful posts.

Lana Gramlich said...

Thank you, B! Always glad to lower stress. :)

Victor Engel said...

That is not dew on your grape leaf. It is guttation. The difference is that dew comes from the air. Guttation comes from the plant.

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks for the info, Victor. I appreciate it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails