My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Marsh at Fontainebleau & Another Interview

Charles and I popped down for a quick hike at Fontainebleau State Park last weekend. On the path to the marsh we saw a mockingbird (as usual,) and heard lots of cardinals.

There was a smattering of birds at the marsh; pied-billed grebes, common moorhens, marsh wrens, a great blue heron, a Northern harrier and some tree swallows--one of which was chasing an American kestrel! (That last is a first for me. Unfortunately all of the action was too far for my camera, but Charles always brings our binoculars along.)

I took this shot of the marsh from the boardwalk that ambles through it. It goes on for miles and miles, turning into Big Branch Marsh Nat'l Wildlife Refuge at some point. There's a shot of this marsh from the Big Branch side here.

We don't get a lot of fall colors here, except for the Chinese tallow trees. Unfortunately this is an invasive species that's really overrunning everything (we even have it in our yard & it's virtually impossible to destroy.) There's some talk of using it as a biofuel.

The water's been way down at the marsh for most of the year. I've never seen it so full of--whatever those rafts of plant matter are. At least it doesn't smell badly.

Leave it to eagle-eyed Charles to spot the pair of great horned owls.

A lovely end to a lovely day.

In other news, pop over to Erik's Choice for Lana Gramlich Interview, Part I and Part II. Many thanks to Erik for taking the time and effort!

23 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely a cool time.

Maalie said...

Wonderful pictures again Lana. I think the song of the Mockingbird is for me an iconic reminder of America :-)

Lynda Lehmann said...

Congrats on the interview, Lana! Well deserved!

Sorry I've been absent--barely keeping up with things these days.

I've missed your wonderful nature posts...and am trying to return to regular visits to my favorite blogs!

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles: Everything with you's a cool time, hon. :)

Maalie; Thanks. I love your appreciation for the Northern mockingbird. Very cool!

Lynda; Thanks, hon. NP on being busy--I know how you feel! Stop by whenever you like & don't worry if "real life" gets in the way. ;)

Christina said...

I love seeing nature through the lens of your camera. I got to see a horned owl up close. They're really cute.

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, Christina. I've seen great horned owls up close, too. As a matter of fact, we saw 2 owlets in this same park in March of 2009. Pictures are here and here.

celticmusicfan said...

Beauty calls upon beauty ! I love the marshes the most.

V said...

beautiful lighting on the marsh pic. well done.

forgetmenot said...

Beautiful photos!!! I like to take nature pics too. I just started a blog ( and am not quite sure what I am doing yet), but come visit me at forgetmenotmmm
Mickie Moore Brown

Demon Hunter said...

Breathtaking as always, Lana. ;-)

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks y'all. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. :)

Funkkeejooce said...

Beautiful pictures of the marshes and I love how the sunlight reflects on the water. Great job Lana!

Hope you're having a great weekend! :)

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, Funkkeejooce. I just spent a couple of hours sitting on my deck, watching the birds. That's a great weekend, as I see it! *L*

eileeninmd said...

Lana, it looks like a wonderful place to walk. I like teh scenery. The last shot is beautiful, a great way to end the day.

Lana Gramlich said...

eileeninmd; Thanks. It's one of my favorite places. :)

jay.me said...

Hi Lana,
Great photos! --I like hearing mockingbirds, we have a couple of them around here.

Lana Gramlich said...

jay.me; Thanks! Yes, mockingbirds are always lovely to have around. :)

Kelly said...

...I love the photo of the two owls in the tree. Perfect for Halloween! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Lana Gramlich said...

Kelly; Thanks! Yes, a visit to Fontainbleau's always a good time. :)

bernie kasper said...

What a beautiful place to explore Lana, your images are wonderful !!

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, Bernie. :)

fazrul arhan said...

Even the places itself so beautiful,but i guess it's more about how you tackle the situation and composed it..your snapshot truly awesome:)

Lana Gramlich said...

Fazrul; Thanks again, hon. I appreciate your kind comments. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails