My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, March 14, 2011

FB/Pleasant Surprises at the Flatwoods

I recently saw that one of my sunset photos is featured as the banner on TNC's website for the Abita Creek Flatwoods Preserve. I'm glad--again--to be able to give something back. Charles and I popped over for a hike there yesterday afternoon...

A pair of red-bellied woodpeckers hung around the hole in a tree for a while. Soon the female flew off and the male popped in to start cleaning out the cavity. We'll have to come back in a few months to look for fledglings.

A Carolina anole.

Immaculate blue 6-spotted tiger beetle. A genetic anomaly. These beetles are normally bright green with white spots on the abdomen.

An adult 5-lined skink.

A black swallowtail butterfly.

More photos from our hike in my next post, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

G said...

Well that stinks about Facebook. Why is it whenever they do an upgrade to "improve" things it always has the opposite effect?

Anyways, cool pics. Can't wait for the mountain to come alive here. Once it does, the splendor that is our feathered friends will once again bring balance to the mountain's chi.

Halcyon said...

I don't use FB much. It's more of a bother I think.

I love your pic of the woodpecker peeking out. I am going to miss those guys so much! You always have such wonderful nature shots. I really enjoy them. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool about that beetle. He was so amazing.

bernie kasper said...

Awesome shots Lana, that is really a cool shot of the Beetle the color is amazing in it. Wonderful images !!

Travis Cody said...

Your nature photos are always so amazing.

Lana Gramlich said...

G; Thanks for the kind comment. I hope your mountains come alive soon--it's getting better every day here. The azaleas are a bit late in blooming, but they're starting, at least!

Halcyon; I didn't want to use FB, either, but had to start a business page, at least. Unfortunately the latest FB upgrade basically forced me to start a new personal profile, just to access the damned business page. SOBs.
Fear not--we'll take good care of the woodpeckers (& you can always pop by for a visit when you get homesick. ;)

Charles; Agreed! That was really cool.

bernie; Thank you kindly! I appreciate your input. :)

Travis C.; That's because nature's so amazing. ;) Thanks, hon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails