My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Winn-Dixie Mystery

Charles & I often shop at Winn-Dixie in Mandeville, LA, evidently to our detriment. Some items we purchase never make it home. Cool whip, cucumbers and strawberries have just vanished. This past Sunday the staff went above and beyond, depriving us of our paper plates, sandwich bags and nailcare items. I'm starting to wonder...is it just us?
Customer service assures me that if I go back with my receipts I can get the missing items, but at over 20 miles round trip each time it's hardly worth the gas and hassle. What's the issue, Winn-Dixie? Is it that hard to put all of our items in bags, really? Is there an undetectable black hole in that small space between the price scanner and the bags? Are we on Candid Camera? To top it off, on every checkout our cashier tells us how much we saved (by using their loyalty card--a price-gouging invasion of privacy in of itself.) Saved? Really? Where are my damned strawberries?
I've never had this problem so consistently anywhere else and I have to wonder why it seems a not-uncommon occurrence at this location. If you're local & having the same problem, I'd love to hear about it!

11 comments:

G said...

Bummer about your groceries disappearing.

I know out here the loyalty cards that the major grocers have are usually geared towards money off a gallon of gas (i.e. for every $50 or $100 you spend, you earn 10 cents off a gallon of gas).

I do know that about a decade ago there were a lot of complaints about a particular store where if you didn't have the loyalty card, you didn't get the discounted price. So what they do now is if you don't have a loyalty card, they automatically give you the discount by pushing a button on the register.

Still don't get the rewards towards the gas, but you still the discount so that you go from being overly gouged to just simply gouged.

Christina said...

I'm going to start watchng my stuff when we go shopping. We go to the same company, but so far, if we lose anything, neither of us seem to notice.

Chrissy said...

So do they pack for you then? I confess that I have on occasion mislaid an item but that is when I have not put it in the grocery bag!

Charles Gramlich said...

This last time I even deliberately and carefully checked all the counter areas to see if anythign was left. alas, that didn't help.

Heather Landry said...

Thanks for adding me to your reader Lana! I've added you to mine too.

It's super cool to know a real photographer. I love photography but don't think I could ever do what you do. Your knowledge of plants and animals is awesome!

I especially enjoyed your Fountainebleau series. It's one of my favorite places to photograph. I have a few uploaded here but my kiddos are in most of them...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28425126@N03/sets/72157622097554407/

P.S. You own my dream camera too! One day... LOL

JR's Thumbprints said...

This is the Lana I remember: a consumer advocate. Hope all else is well.

Travis Cody said...

That's really weird.

Erik Donald France said...

"At least you have Winn-Dixie" -- "The Beef People" -- is there no Piggly-Wiggly nearby to put 'em in their place?

Lana Gramlich said...

Dang...I just realized that all of the replies I tried to post yesterday are gone. I'll try to repost them shortly.

Erik; Although I've seen P-W around, those are much farther from home. I'm just going to start insisting on bagging all of our groceries myself.

Merisi said...

Those sounds like some rather curious incidents. One would think things just don't disappear between the scanner and the checkout counter.

I know it is of no comfort to you, but: I dream of the good old days back in the USA when my groceries were packed into bags by somebody else. Here, bagging your groceries is done by the customer! To add insult to injury, there is hardly any space after the scanner, they force you to quickly throw your groceries into your shopping cart, then pay (quickly!) and move away from the register. If you are lucky, there is a counter near the exit, there you are allowed to back your stuff into your own bags.

Lana Gramlich said...

Merisi; The thing is, I think it's the store's use of multiple baggers that's causing the problem. I didn't have problems when I did the bagging, EVER. From now on I'm going to insist on bagging myself. It's just ridiculous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails