My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Migrant Bird News

As my regular readers know, April is our big month for migrating birds. I've always enjoyed posting photos of the colorful avians who come through our yard this time of year, but I have no photos to share. The tree outside my back window (my main, photographic vantage point,) has grown enough to block my view. As much as I love the birds, I also love the tree and can't see myself cutting it back any time soon.
Regardless, most of the regular migrants have been seen here again lately. The indigo buntings, blue grosbeaks and brown-headed cowbirds are back. I haven't seen rose-breasted grosbeaks, but I've been out of the house a lot and may just be missing them. We've had a red-headed woodpecker, as well. They're local birds, but for some reason they only come to our yard when nesting time rolls around.
Speaking of nesting time, I've watched a couple of male cardinals giving females sunflower seeds, so they're pairing up, too. We're just a couple of months away from fledging time. If I can't get pictures now I suspect I won't have any then, either, but young birds get all over the place, so you never know!

April 2010.

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

We need to get you a blind.

Travis Cody said...

We have just the opposite this spring. The property owners behind our condo finally cleared out some dead growth and took down a severely leaning tree. Now we have a clear view of all kinds of birds adjusting to the changes in their habitat.

It's quite active back there. It makes me miss Mr Tucker a little more, because he would really have enjoyed sitting in the window and watching all the activity.

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles; Nah. The view's still good all Winter. ;)

Travis C.; Yes. I was just thinking of Mr. Tucker the other day, myself. Such a sweetie! I'm glad about your view of the birds, though. :)

Erik Donald France said...

I'm cheered up to see there still *are* migrating birds -- more sophisticated than cruise missiles and drones, thank God.

troutbirder said...

I've got hundred year old burr oaks in the back yard so ... the best of both worlds. No warblers this far north yet, though. :)

Cloudia said...

so BLUE!





Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Related Posts with Thumbnails